Thread: Covid testing in SC

Default Covid testing in SC

So can someone help me understand the testing procedures?

I understand that supplies are in a shortage and the medical system is being overwhelmed- so how do we have just a 10% success rate on the testing? Almost 20,000 people have been tested, and only 1900 positive cases and there is currently a zero backlog. Why so many people getting tested that aren’t positive? Seems that we should be running a much higher testing rate percentage or the drain on supplies will continue to happen. What gives?

Pretty sure it’s because the symptoms of this virus are so common to other viruses and telehealth screening can’t be perfect either. I’m pretty sure our positive rate is about the same as the rest of the country but saw something about only testing severely ill patients in places like New York. Hopefully sooner than later the quick at-home testing will be ready and everyone can be tested and see that positive rate go down even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by codeman216; 04-05-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Ooo there’s backlog. We are 14 days out on results for outpatients. Inpatients we can get in a little over 24 hours.

That was DHEC data.

That is what I understood DHEC has no backlog but Lapcorp is way behind.

We failed at testing. South Korea was quick. The rest better and now make better SUVs. We need to tighten up.

I know a fella that got tested thirteen days ago and still hasn't gotten the result.

Buddy went to an Emergency Care drive threw and had results in 72 hours. He researched the lab that they used and determined that it was legit before doing the drive through. You just got to do a little research. MUSC told him no...
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I know a fella that got tested thirteen days ago and still hasn't gotten the result.
    At this point those results could well be moot.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My wife's test came back in about a week. I think it was Quest Diagnostics.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    At this point those results could well be moot.
    We need more testing especially those that contracted the virus and healed. To start back up it is important the infection rate and if you can contract the virus again.

We dropped the ball.

Last edited by Bigtimber2; 04-05-2020 at 09:05 AM.

I've had renal patients with chf and fluid over load tested by Residents at richland because they were short of breath. Well no shit, they skipped a dialysis tx or signed off early at their last tx. Of course they are short of breath. "LETS TEST THEM." That is why I would not go to richland ER unless it was for a massive trauma or a gun shot.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    I've had renal patients with chf and fluid over load tested by Residents at richland because they were short of breath. Well no shit, they skipped a dialysis tx or signed off early at their last tx. Of course they are short of breath. "LETS TEST THEM." That is why I would not go to richland ER unless it was for a massive trauma or a gun shot.
    Are you a physician?
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I don’t understand the point of testing until they really understand what is going on. I say assume you have it, stay away from the old and infirm and let it run itself out. All the testing (rarely correct it seems) does is fuel the fear that the main stream media is feeding on. Paranoia is killing our great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Are you a physician?
    RN

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Had a coworker tested at the drive thru test site in at Spartanburg Hospital on Thursday and he had his results back on Saturday morning (negative). He said there was no one in line when he got tested. Not sure why the long waits elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    I don’t understand the point of testing until they really understand what is going on. I say assume you have it, stay away from the old and infirm and let it run itself out. All the testing (rarely correct it seems) does is fuel the fear that the main stream media is feeding on. Paranoia is killing our great nation.
    There needs to be a quick 15 min test so healthcare know how to treat, what PPE to use and rather to isolate per reports I read.

I have not seen much paranoia, sounds like many at lake were not concern. Few people take the media serious these days.