Thread: Boat electronics selection

Default Boat electronics selection

So my current 5 year old Garmin unit has taken a dump. So it’s time to buy a new one. I currently fish saltwater inshore 99% of the time. It will be mounted on top of a console on a 17’ key west.

So what’s the deal with Garmin, Lowrance, Simrad? Is it a ford vs Chevy argument, or am I going to be happy with any choice? I loved the easy interface with the Garmin, but the maps left some to be desired.

Will be a 7 or 9” screen. Would like at least downscan transducer capability. What says the ducks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin is very easy to use.

Sinead is a little more advanced but still very easy.

Check out the Simrad Go9 or Go7.

The total scan transducer is nice but definitely is a lot larger than traditional transom mount transducers.

Simrad go7 or go9 are good deals

Check out the new Simrad Cruise series. It’s an entry level unit that should do what you need.

Do you plan to run base maps or a chip? Is there a certain imaging feature you are after?

I’ve always had Lowrance but from what I’ve saw of the new technology Garmin has I think that’s what I’d buy if I replaced my stuff today. The Pantoptix looks to be incredible. BJ

Gamin's sounders have come a long way and the units are more intuitive than the Simrad or Lowrance.

Lowrance and Simrad are made by the same parent company so if you've used one, you can quickly learn the other. They were bought out a few years back and the glitches of the past have been largely corrected. Use to have the better sounder/bottom machines but honestly have been equaled or surpassed Garmin, Raymarine and Furuno.

If you've had Garmin and been happy, I'd stick with it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

All I can say is I have a hummingbird on my boat and would not recommend it.
    Thankfully I rarely use it.

I have a nice color mapping, side imaging Lowrance on my inshore boat and it
    couldn't be any better for what I do. Its an older Elite-7 HDI
    I am actually looking at different units right now for my fishing Yamaha FXHO Cruiser ski.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-05-2020 at 11:23 AM.

I think the simrads have much better charts

Cabela's had the 9in Garmin models at a crazy price earlier in the year.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I have the Garmin 93SV and love it!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I think the simrads have much better charts
    Simrad and Lowrance come loaded with Insight charts which are serviceable. The Navionics are better, seem to have better definition.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’ve also read now that Garmin has bought Navionics. That could be a game changer for me, but who knows how long it could be before they roll that out

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I’ve also read now that Garmin has bought Navionics. That could be a game changer for me, but who knows how long it could be before they roll that out

They did. New units come with a combination of Garmin and Navionics data. Call me tomorrow, Monday. I think thats what day it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.