Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Discretion

I haven't seen or heard a gobble on the ground yet in manning,I've called in 3 lesbian hen's with no gobbler in tow.I think all these birds are mutes... not a single cluck within the last 6 times I went.i heard 2 different toms opening morning but I usually hear about 6 the past few years and i can tell you the population is dropping quick around that area.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 04-04-2020 at 09:36 AM.

I can see how the new rules could theoretically benefit the long term health of the turkey population. What you are proposing seems little more than a 'feel good' measure. I'm pretty satisfied after I get one for the year but if I have somewhere to get on some more I will continue to hunt. The only thing really affecting the population is whether or not the hens get bred and then they are at the mercy of the weather following hatching.

Heard 7 different birds gobbling this morning. There’s more Jakes this year than I’ve seen in a while, they won’t let the gobblers rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    I've seen a lot of birds around Spartanburg Co. They are being push out by new sub divisions full of Yankees, not hunting pressure. Woodlots and fields are disappearing at an unbelievable rate.
    Couple that with an overwhelming presence of pine plantations and there’s no wonder we are seeing a substantial decrease in numbers. I worry about the future of turkey hunting in the next five years in the upstate.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Couple that with an overwhelming presence of pine plantations and there’s no wonder we are seeing a substantial decrease in numbers. I worry about the future of turkey hunting in the next five years in the upstate.
    Yep! Need wood for all those houses.. I probably won't see it but turkey will go the way of wild bobwhite in this area.

Listening to chamberlain was extremely interesting...I’d love to sit around a fire and learn some more
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    They been breeding for a month.

Kill snakes and hawks if you wanna save turkeys
    I always thought hawks were a problem for poults. Found a pile of feathers today right in front of my camera. Caught an awesome pic of a red tail blowing up a hen. She made it but looked rough afterwards.
    Last edited by Carolina Counsel; 04-04-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Carolina Counsel

Why don’t you kill three SC birds and call it a season, then? No need to travel and kill other states’ birds.

[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I have been around here long enough to know exactly how this is going to go over. But I'm just dumb enough to give her a shot.

We are in a situation with a declining turkey population, and that has been documented.

We are in a situation where a whole lot of folks have a whole lot more time to hunt turkeys this season.

Equipment available has made us far more proficient at killing turkeys.

Turkeys are taking, and will continue to take a beating. Opportunity creates dead turkeys.

I think it would be prudent for all of us to take a look in the mirror and decide how many we need to kill. Mike Chamberlain told a friend the other day that this increase in hunter opportunity could put southeastern wild turkeys in a situation that they may never recover from. That's a big deal.

I've already heard horror stories about the number of folks hunting public. We are having an "early" spring. The weather pattern is incredible. Turkeys are begging to die.

If all of us let 1 turkey live that would otherwise die, or at least let him breed for another 10 days, I think it could make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    Why don’t you kill three SC birds and call it a season, then? No need to travel and kill other states’ birds.

[/QUOTE]

A lot of other states are restricting out of state hunters. I had to cancel my Nebraska trip.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Red tails will whack a full grown gobbler in the forest. I've witnessed them do it. Hawks never stop hunting. They're like feral cats with wings. It's a real shame they are federally protected.

So will Great Horned Owls... but they’ll eat a house cat too
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    I've got as many big birds as I've ever seen...I'll be there in the morning again, as usual, doing my "catch and release" hunting...Lots of fun to me to mess with them and I like the excitement and challenge of working one up and fooling him.

This makes it 11 years since I killed a Gobbler, and I've called up as many as anybody...It's a fact, once you kill a bird, you'll never hear him gobble again...I just love being in the woods.

Plus, it's so much easier to get around in the woods without a shotgun.........
    Preach.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Agree with Turkkilr 100 percent

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    Unless you have been laid off there shouldn’t be extra time to hunt.
    Some people are surely laid off. Luckily I am not. My thought was more of the fact that there’s not much else for many people to do. No high school sports, college sports, travel ball, Sunday morning Church services, etc. Theres just not much else to do for a lot of folks. So more “free” time means more woods time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I made it past your screen name and hung up the phone.

Later start + 2 bird limit, 1 bird/day.
    WMA/NF need more habitat work. I’d reckon the amount of $$ saved on mailing color, adhesive tags could pay for something but that’s just me.

If state would go to an on-line check system to include where it was killed (public/private/county) it would help make funding decisions with respect to habitat improvements, all that. If we’d listen & manage to the biologists’ recommendations vs legislators (& influencers) it would make it far better.

I get what you’re saying, but wondering when this revelation struck you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

How many of these are yours?