Thread: GSP / Beagle Deer Dogs

Default GSP / Beagle Deer Dogs

I just picked up two beautiful GSP / Beagle puppies.
    Mom is purebred GSP (solid brown) and dad is a long legged beagle.

They are solid colored - black male & brown female.

I think they should make good deer dogs. 8 weeks old but showing potential and exhibiting GSP traits, not much beagle look to them.

Any experience?
    Southern dogs & kids.jpg

They look very lab like to me

They don't look like GSPs at all to me and that's my breed.
    Those are awfully adorable kids.

One thing is for sure, they are gonna have the ability to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Thank you - the kids love them too.

They do look like labs but they are for sure GSP / Beagle.

Shorthairs don't usually make the best deer dogs. They're not hounds so they don't usually ground trail well. They are upland dogs and use air scent and run with their head up. Most can track but they quarter all over the place to figure out where the trail is compared to a hound that sticks his nose to the trail. Shorthairs are probably better at running every deer out of a small patch of woods compared to a hound that will stay on the track of the specific deer trail you put him on. A mix of beagle and GSP might be great or might be mediocre compared on which traits dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Shorthairs don't usually make the best deer dogs. They're not hounds so they don't usually ground trail well. They are upland dogs and use air scent and run with their head up. Most can track but they quarter all over the place to figure out where the trail is compared to a hound that sticks his nose to the trail. Shorthairs are probably better at running every deer out of a small patch of woods compared to a hound that will stay on the track of the specific deer trail you put him on. A mix of beagle and GSP might be great or might be mediocre compared on which traits dominate.
    Hog hunt behind one and get back to me! I know what you mean but I have seen some of the best trailing work ever out of a shorthair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.