Thread: Cap. asks to evacuate crew CVN-71

Default Cap. asks to evacuate crew CVN-71

Spread of COVID-19 on carrier Theodore Roosevelt is ‘ongoing and accelerating,’ ship captain says

Ship Captain’s letter to Pacific Fleet commanders asks Navy to move crew off ship to save lives
    By ANDREW DYER
    MARCH 31, 20209:44 AM

The captain of the San Diego-based aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, in port in Guam fighting a coronavirus outbreak among its crew, says that unless the Navy takes immediate action to isolate the crew off the ship, COVID-19 will continue to spread and “there will be losses,” he wrote in a letter sent Sunday to Pacific Fleet commanders.

The Roosevelt pulled into Guam late last week after several sailors on board tested positive for COVID-19. That was two weeks after the ship visited Da Nang, Vietnam, a country with known coronavirus cases.

This coverage of the coronavirus pandemic is part of your subscription to The San Diego Union-Tribune. We also provide free coverage as a service to our community.

In the letter published by the San Francisco Chronicle, Capt. Brett Crozier says there are two possible outcomes for the ship and its crew — remove the crew from the ship and disinfect it, or “maximize warfighting readiness” to redeploy as quickly as possible.

If the Navy chooses the second option, Crozier says, “there will be losses to the virus.”

“We are not at war, and therefore cannot allow a single Sailor to perish as a result of this pandemic unnecessarily,” Crozier wrote. “Decisive action is required now....”

The Navy is no longer reporting the number of positive COVID-19 cases on its ships.

The Pentagon said Monday it will not release to the public specific numbers of COVID cases on its bases or by geographic regions. Instead, the military services and the Defense department are announcing total numbers of cases worldwide.

In a statement Tuesday, the Navy acknowledged the letter was sent to the leadership of the Pacific Fleet.

“Navy leadership is moving quickly to take all necessary measures to ensure the health and safety of the crew of USS Theodore Roosevelt,” a Navy official said in an emailed statement.

The fleet is “pursuing options” raised by Crozier in the letter, the official said.

Since COVID-19 began to spread among the military community, leaders have repeatedly emphasized that their ships and crews are mission ready, even as they move to curtail the virus.

Crozier also said in his letter that the ship can fight if needed.

“If required the (Roosevelt) would embark all assigned Sailors, set sail, and be ready to fight and beat any adversary that dares challenge the US or our allies,” Crozier wrote.

Other ships — still in port in San Diego — have recalled their entire crews, who will remain on board at least 14 days.

The Marine Corps, which said Monday it would stop sending new recruits to its East Coast boot camp Parris Island, said it will send new recruits to its San Diego boot camp this week.

Crozier ended his letter acknowledging the challenge of finding individualized housing for the crew.

“This will require a political solution but it’s the right thing to do,” Crozier wrote. “We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our Sailors.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...g-captain-says

If they knew that Viet Nam was not known to be a safe port, why was anyone allowed off the ship?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Think Teddy Roosevelt and the Great White Fleet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

The editor that allowed an article to be released about the operational readiness of a super carrier during a global crisis should be charged with treason.

I read the same thing in Navy Times so I guess they don’t see it like it’s a big deal.
    My thoughts were the same as your MG.

Can't believe it either- loose lips sink ships

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    The editor that allowed an article to be released about the operational readiness of a super carrier during a global crisis should be charged with treason.
    I wondered about that, but then based on some of the people they allow in the services now (or in charge of them) makes one wonder what the real agenda(s) are for some.
    ~ George Washington

That captain will get relieved for speaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I wondered about that, but then based on some of the people they allow in the services now (or in charge of them) makes one wonder what the real agenda(s) are for some.
    Is there anything you do find a conspiracy in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) has been relieved of command.

Now would anyone like to bet some $$ this guy runs as a Democrat in an upcoming election. There is NO way he didn’t know that writing a letter to the hometown paper wouldn’t get him relieved.
    You don’t get to be Captain of a flag ship by being stupid, this was a calculated move on his part.

Of course it was. He will have a high six figure income at a DC "Think Tank" shortly...

The older I get and more I see, everybody has an agenda. Always follow the money. The kind of money associated with government and their relationship with "private" companies is always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Is there anything you do find a conspiracy in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Contrary to your polyana belief system, and inability to often type a comprehensible sentence (do you drink all day?), virtually everyone lies, and particularly politicians. Follow the $$ trail or the power trail and it often leads one to the root cause. Nothing is what it seems, in many cases.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-04-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    ~ George Washington

Default Cap. asks to evacuate crew CVN-71

Sad.

Not the older I become but what has always been evident to me is those that find an agenda, conspiracy, long game, etc in everything normally do so because that is how they operate.

The old saying do not believe anything you hear and only half what you see, is true but the ability to reason and discern is a human trait/gift. Sometimes things are as they seem.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 04-04-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Sad.

Not the older I become but what has always been evident to me is those that find an agenda, conspiracy, long game, etc in everything normally do so because that is how they operate.

The old saying do not believe anything you hear and only half what you see, is true but the ability to reason and discern is a human trait/gift. Sometimes things are as they seem.
    First, you obviously ignored my statement..."Nothing is what it seems, in many cases". If you don't understand that, it means I said that sometimes things are what they seem. Surprise!

I also think your pollyanna outlook is naive, and your condescending opinion for those of us who have learned to be realists is uncalled for. Personally, I despise duplicitous people with hidden agendas, but after spending decades in the corporate world, along with a few decades on a County Board, I've learned the hard way that trusting people to mean what they say, much less actually do what they say, is a serious mistake. Yes, you have to try to discern when you can really trust what you're told, but to do so without question is flat out foolish.

If you haven't learned by now that there are millions of people in this country who love to see our Armed Forces fail in whatever they do, and some are, undoubtedly, actively doing their best on any given day to help that happen. If you think otherwise, you haven't paid attention to the behavior of Congress, and most Democrats, Liberals, and RINOS around the country.

Now go chew on Kwacker2 and JABIII who both just posted how they believe that Captain did what he did as a calculated move. MY GOD, they're conspiracy theorists... the shame! Bigtimber2 is going to tell them how wacko they are... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    I don't have a source, I don't believe there's a source that exists that is accurate. They're coming from too many different sources with too many agendas. Speaking of agendas, look at the job descriptions of most of those people on that list. I'm also confident if you could find out the political leanings of all of those folks, you'd see the vast majority of them fall on one side. With their jobs descriptions and their political leanings, they can take any numbers and make them appear any way they choose.
    Golly gee... here's another conspiracy theorist, except he's right. Just like pretty much every Liberal/Leftist, they've got a one-sided agenda, and what you and I believe in doesn't have any room in it.

Go get another drink... you spelled thing correctly in that post. Can't let that happen very often, can we?
    ~ George Washington

His actions would have put him in prison in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    His actions would have put him in prison in the past
    Still should. I’d also like to hear the explanation for how he managed to allow 93 of his crew to get infected. They must have been given shore leave in VN, despite the infections there. I supposed it could have been infected supplies, but any way you cut it, this captain wasn’t watching out for his crew, and his follow up actions should put him under a background microscope.
    ~ George Washington