Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot water heater gurus

Default Hot water heater gurus

Who's the guru around here? I installed a tank in February '19 and I seem to already have a slow leak around the bottom of the tank. Need to pick someones brain.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Turbo is the man

Snatch it out and get a tankless.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

The leak probably isn't from the bottom, but where the water is actually settling.

Disconnect power. Either snug up on the elements or...

Cut off the water, drain tank, remove the elements, and check the rubber gaskets.

Additionally, there could be a leak around the nipples at the top. A little drip will soon saturate the insulation and begin to start draining at the bottom. I'd check there, first.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    The leak probably isn't from the bottom, but where the water is actually settling.

Disconnect power. Either snug up on the elements or...

Cut off the water, drain tank, remove the elements, and check the rubber gaskets.

Additionally, there could be a leak around the nipples at the top. A little drip will soon saturate the insulation and begin to start draining at the bottom. I'd check there, first.

Thanks. I'll start checking stuff off the list.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Snatch it out and get a tankless.
    If we were planning to stay longer, I would consider it. But we will be moving out of here within the year, Lord willing.

for starters. Let's just call them water heaters. Hot water doesn't need heaters.

Electric or gas?

And is it sitting above the surrounding pan (such as on bricks, etc), or sitting directly on the floor/in the catch pan such that the rust be coming from the outside vs the inside?

Add a picture or three so we can understand the scenario a bit better as there can be multiple causes, like USMC indicated.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Electric or gas?

And is it sitting above the surrounding pan (such as on bricks, etc), or sitting directly on the floor/in the catch pan such that the rust be coming from the outside vs the inside?

Add a picture or three so we can understand the scenario a bit better as there can be multiple causes, like USMC indicated.
    Electric. It's sitting directly in the pan on the floor. I'll have to get a picture this evening.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 03-30-2020 at 11:22 AM.

You've got good advice here already.

I doubt your tank is leaking. It's a fitting.

Holler if you don't get her whipped.

Please isolate electricity before playing with thermostats and heater elements.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You've got good advice here already.

I doubt your tank is leaking. It's a fitting.

Holler if you don't get her whipped.

Please isolate electricity before playing with thermostats and heater elements.
    Thank you sir. Will do. Don't worry, I know I don't have a clue about electrical stuff so the first is always a trip to the breaker box.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    for starters. Let's just call them water heaters. Hot water doesn't need heaters.
    There we have it.
    80-20 Genaration

Bottom element location insulation has some rust marks on it but feels dry to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like someone went water heater shopping at Lowe’s. Did you use those braided hoses and possibly tighten them down too much. If not, call up GE or whirlpool or whatever that piece of junk is and get a replacement. You’re going to have to tell them you have a thermal expansion tank installed and the pressure relief valve is piped independently to the outside. Good luck with their customer service

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    Looks like someone went water heater shopping at Lowe’s. Did you use those braided hoses and possibly tighten them down too much.
    How tight is too much?

This is what I get for trying to do things myself. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    How tight is too much?

This is what I get for trying to do things myself. Haha

You need "snug".

Overtightened will crush the rubber gasket inside the hose fitting.

Why are you trying to heat hot water? Someone probably already beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    Looks like someone went water heater shopping at Lowe’s. Did you use those braided hoses and possibly tighten them down too much. If not, call up GE or whirlpool or whatever that piece of junk is and get a replacement. You’re going to have to tell them you have a thermal expansion tank installed and the pressure relief valve is piped independently to the outside. Good luck with their customer service
    Water heater poet, who knew?

Is it a water heater? Does hot water need to be heated?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Mollie, hand tight plus 1/2 revolution. But don’t put them in for the long term. Those fail as they age like nobody’s business