Thread: Oil Change ?

Default Oil Change ?

The sticker on my vehicle says I need an oil change, but my computer says I have 29% oil life left.

Which one should you be going by?

2019 GMC k1500

I never “change” my oil. I change filters and add a quart every 30 days.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Similar truck and I go by my computer. It never matches the sticker.

No idea if that is right or wrong, but @ 75K now it seems to work just fine.

Truck comp probably goes by 4,500-5,000 miles and oil change businesses go by 3,000 = more $$$$$ for them.

Your GM engine calculates oil life based on number of engine revolutions. Your mechanic probably gives you a 3k change interval. Take your pick

I change mine at 25% it usually breaks 7k miles. Mobil1 Advanced Full Synthetic and the Mobil filter. I am at 170k miles now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine gets changed when that little sticker, that A2Z puts on my windshield, tells me to.

Mines at 20% and right at 6k miles on the oil change right now, I’m dropping it off tomorrow. I try and do mine every 5k just because that’s when I rotate my tires, running a little late this time. Hunting truck gets changed every 3k.

25% is usually about right
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I change mine at 5,000 miles no matter what the computer says. That Ow-20 looks shitty enough after 5k.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 03-30-2020 at 06:15 PM.

I change mine every time I get tires rotated. 14’ Ram 135000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Mine gets changed when that little sticker, that A2Z puts on my windshield, tells me to.
    Bingo. Every 5 to 7500K miles.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Your GM engine calculates oil life based on number of engine revolutions. Your mechanic probably gives you a 3k change interval. Take your pick
    Actually GM goes off gallons of fuel consumed. Been that way since 2006.

Mechanics have a difficult task. What mileage do you put? I can assure you we catch hell on this daily. So we put every 5k as an average. We don’t make money on oil changes. Figure in disposal etc and we don’t make any cash on oil changes therefore every 3k wouldn’t benefit us.
    Last edited by KRT; 03-30-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Buncha tight ass's. Change the oil 5/k or less is how I roll.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

And rotate the tires
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Changing the oil is not that expensive even if you use Mobil1 like I do and is one of the things I like to do myself. I generally change the oil in all of my vehicles when the dash on my Yukon tells me to do it. the last five vehicles I have owned I drove until at least 225k miles, so I feel like it has been a solid strategy. Currently my son's has >230 and my wife's is >225 and I have no plans of trading them out for another couple of years. I will say that when I had inboard offshore boats, I would change the filter every 25 hours and replace the oil every 100. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The sticker on my vehicle says I need an oil change, but my computer says I have 29% oil life left.

Which one should you be going by?

2019 GMC k1500
    Do you remember the days of every 3000 miles? I would change every 3 and rotate tires every second change. Those were the days of bias ply tires. Change hoses and belts every 2 years. Antifreeze once a year. Plugs didnt last 6000 miles.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Do you remember the days of every 3000 miles? I would change every 3 and rotate tires every second change. Those were the days of bias ply tires. Change hoses and belts every 2 years. Antifreeze once a year. Plugs didnt last 6000 miles.
    Why the old BADASS FORD lasted and still going strong. The 2019 gets it at least every 5000. No later

I use Mobil One and change every 10,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I use Mobil One and change every 10,000 miles.
    Same. 2010 gm 6.2 usually uses less than half a quart between changes