Thread: Underground dog fence

Default Underground dog fence

What are you guys using and had the best results with for underground fence. I'm needing to put one in for 2 dogs.

Area will cover roughly 1.5 acres.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I bought the system from Lowe’s to cover the same area, actually a little less. Didn’t work and got lip service when calling tech support.
    Cost about $350ish iirc. Maybe you’ll have better luck than I did.

I have used the wireless for over six years, with great results. I had used wired previous to that but always seemed to have some dead spots. I use the PetSafe brand. Whatever you do, get the rechargeable collars not the battery. If you have buildings, shed etc with power you can link the wireless together. I have three units linked together. It is also cool, because I can take it with me wherever I go, vacation, OOS hunting, etc. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I bought a Cabela’s/innotec, which quit after 2 yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I used Invisible Fence to do my install. They installed it on 2 1/4 acres and did all of the follow up trainings. It ran me $2100 for everything. A lot of money but no damn way I was digging the trench. I’ve heard people say just use an edger but I wanted it deeper. The machine they used cuts through roots and all. They even saw cut across the driveway.

I bought a Cabela’s/innotec, which quit after 2 yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

If running yourself, buy the head control and collar. Go to HD/Lowes and buy spoils of 14 or 16ga wire. Trench and put in. To make a “gate” double the strands around a trailer hitch and secure the two tag ends into a drill chuck and use it to twist them together. The rest is plug and play and the wire don’t break as easily.

We lived on a golf course for a while. Lightning his close by and that thin wire carried the current. It broke and had two little copper balls on the end. I had a helluva time finding that break. The larger gauge wire does break as easy and will carry the current without breaking.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    If running yourself, buy the head control and collar. Go to HD/Lowes and buy spoils of 14 or 16ga wire. Trench and put in. To make a “gate” double the strands around a trailer hitch and secure the two tag ends into a drill chuck and use it to twist them together. The rest is plug and play and the wire don’t break as easily.

We lived on a golf course for a while. Lightning his close by and that thin wire carried the current. It broke and had two little copper balls on the end. I had a helluva time finding that break. The larger gauge wire does break as easy and will carry the current without breaking.

Did the same thing. Used a single shank subsoiler with a short piece of conduit with an elbow at the bottom to bury the line. Bought 500ft rolls of stranded from Home Depot and fenced in around 6 acres in a couple hours.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Been using this for several years now: https://www.sportdog.com/in-ground-fencing

Go wireless. Wires get cut, know dat.

I'm using a PetSafe wireless and my lab hasn't had his collar on in a month. He won't go outside his known containment area.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

https://www.sportdog.com/in-ground-fencing

I have this same system. No issues
    Last edited by Hardwoods; 03-27-2020 at 05:48 PM.