Thread: Bluffton Cyber Attack

Default Bluffton Cyber Attack

Authorities confirmed Thursday that Bluffton Fire and Rescue in Bluffton, South Carolina has been impacted by a cyber attack.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) spokesperson Tommy Crosby said the South Carolina Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity (SCCIC) program joint task force, along with National Guard and FBI partners, “is aware of and has provided assistance” to Bluffton Fire and Rescue.

The attack involved ransomware, and has since been resolved, according to sources.

Captain Lee Levesque told Fox28 that the staff names and information were not accessed in the attack.

Bluffton is a quaint town in the Lowcountry near Hilton Head Island. It’s seen a major population boom in recent years, growing from a population of 14,000 people in 2013 to more than 21,000 in 2017.

Several government entities in South Carolina have been compromised by cyber attacks in recent months. Last fall, neighboring Jasper County underwent a possible ransomware attack involving tax records.

And in October, a cyber intrusion took place at the Calhoun County School District, also involving ransomware.

Three years ago, S.C. governor Henry McMaster tapped Bruce Smalley – an information technology officer with the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) – as the “Cyber Executive” in charge of the state’s “critical infrastructure cybersecurity program.” Smalley leads a new law enforcement group in South Carolina responsible for managing “cyber threats, incidents, or attacks affecting the state’s critical infrastructure and key resources.”

Quaint town.... Not in 20 years
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Quaint town.... Not in 20 years
    Yea that’s what I was thinking.

If people would quit clicking links that go to bad places, these attacks would be less of an issue.

"Quaint" is relative. So is "little."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Unless I am mistaken this cyber attack was performed through a cross-site scripting vulnerability. Cross-site scripting attacks are based on the injection of malicious scripts into certain websites and web applications. This type of attacks is quite widespread nowadays. Here is an article explaining how it works in much detail https://www.ptsecurity.com/ww-en/ana...ng-xss-attack/. If XSS is successful then you can forget about your accounts as they are not yours anymore. As far as I know this time XSS wasn't successful, right?
    Last edited by Smiller; 05-06-2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: additional info

I have no idea what you just typed.

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    I have no idea what you just typed.
    Ha ha. I was thinking the exact same!?!

Is Bluffton the one that shoots radar on I-95?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

nerd alert

Cyber attack in this case means someone clicked some NSFW link that they shouldn't have.

Maybe but phishing attacks now are camouflaged better. We usually receive the ones to watch out for. Still simple to avoid do not click on any links you are not 100% sure about even from customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Is Bluffton the one that shoots radar on I-95?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    That would be Hardeeville

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Maybe but phishing attacks now are camouflaged better. We usually receive the ones to watch out for. Still simple to avoid do not click on any links you are not 100% sure about even from customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well- how the hell are we supposed to use the innerweb if we don't click on new stuff?