Thread: Annual Bluegrass and turfgrass

Default Annual Bluegrass and turfgrass

Hey guys,
    This spring I have had a massive bloom of annual bluegrass, as well as the usual dandelion and other broadleaf weeds in my yard. We do have a moisture problem, as the soil holds water for a long time before drying out, and I know that allows bluegrass to thrive. I do not know enough about the grass I have (or had) to tell you what kind it was. Can any of you landscape/turfgrass guys tell me what I need to do in order to salvage this and get it turned around? I could take some pics of the grass if need be or if it matters, I just didn't know if there was a generic product to purchase and broadcast regardless of grass type.
    Thanks,
    Caleb

Feet’s will be along shortly to help. Pictures would be a great help.

Poa annua will die once the temps get up. If you want it gone now and have other broadleafs, Celsius should handle both even though it isn’t labeled strictly for poa annua. It is expensive but it handles every broad leaf and can handle the heat well. Just need to verify your grass type.

If you want to attack just the poa annua use Moument and then hit the yard with a post emergent here in April.

In the fall you’ll want to apply a pre-emergent like dimension or prodiamine to prevent this grass.

Someone can tell me to I’m wrong or wether I’m in the right direction.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 03-25-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Poa annua will die once the temps get up. If you want it gone now and have other broadleafs, Celsius should handle both even though it isn’t labeled strictly for poa annua. It is expensive but it handles every broad leaf and can handle the heat well. Just need to verify your grass type.

If you want to attack just the poa annua use Moument and then hit the yard with a post emergent here in April.

In the fall you’ll want to apply a pre-emergent like dimension or prodiamine to prevent this grass.

Someone can tell me to I’m wrong or wether I’m in the right direction.
    Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I thought you would recommend round up and call back in 2 weeks. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    I thought you would recommend round up and call back in 2 weeks. Haha
    When someone said Feets thats what I figured I would get. Kill it and let me know where to drop the pallets of sod....but hopefully we can do this with chemicals and some re-seeding. I have to get these drainage issues fixed as well, as I think that is a major contributing problem in this.

Poa annua can eat shit

*I haven't had any with any of the sod that Feets has brought me

I just put a beating on my Poa/winter annuals with a atrazine/2-4,D cocktail.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Just circling back here. The grass is fescue. Does this change anyone's recommendations for treatment chemicals or processes? I plan to get after this stuff as there is a number of weeds popping up, but the Poa annua is by far the worst one. Some other broadleaf weeds as well, but I was able to take them out last year with a mix that I bought from Lowe's.

Being that you have Fescue, there is not a lot that you can do for the poa now, for a reasonable amount of money. Celsius, Monument and Atrazine are all listed above, to kill poa, but they will injure/kill Fescue. Xonerate will kill the poa in Fescue, but it is expensive $70-120/Ac.

Next fall(mid-August in Charlotte) you could apply a pre-emerge that will help control the poa from germinating.

You need to address the drainage problems first. Some of your more common pre-emerges (Barricade, Dimension) are rapidly broken down when they are in anaerobic conditions like saturated or waterlogged soils. The half-life of Barricade is reduced by 50% if it is in anaerobic conditions for 48 hours.

Edit to add: for the broadleaf weeds you can get them with most 2-4D products(SpeedZone, 3-Way, CoolPower, etc)
    Last edited by bigtimeduckhunter; 04-02-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks a lot! We are going to address the moisture issues ASAP. I’m not sure if it’s an issue of soil compaction or some other factor, but I’m going to find out soon. Thanks again for the recommendations.

I didn't realize we were talking about Fescue, we won't have it again until December, so my recommendation is definitely Glyphosate, till, and lay Zoysia. PM Tater for the best pricing, as he is our defacto upstate HMFWIC.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.