Thread: Brucellosis in Hogs

NEWS RELEASE #05- 42 February 28, 2005 DNR News (803) 734-3950

NEW S.C. LAW MAKES IT ILLEGAL TO RELEASE, TRANSPORT HOGS

A new state law makes it illegal to release a member of the pig family or to transport one of these animals with the intent of releasing it, according to the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the state veterinarian.

"This new state law is an attempt to protect the state's ecosystems, the hunter's health and the spread of disease to domestic swine, livestock, pets and wildlife," said Dr. Tony Caver, State Veterinarian and Director of Clemson University Livestock Poultry Health Programs in Columbia. "Feral or wild swine are known disease carriers of pseudorabies and brucellosis. Surveillance over the years has shown that the feral hog populations in South Carolina are infected with both these diseases."

Humans are at serious public health risk of brucellosis infection when they field dress wild pigs, according to Caver. Brucellosis in man is referred to as "undulant fever." The symptoms of undulant fever in man consist of recurrent fever, night sweats and headaches for extended periods separated by weeks of feeling well. Hunters who have been exposed to wild pigs and who become ill or exhibit these symptoms should consult their doctor.

Derrell Shipes, chief of statewide projects, research and surveys for the Wildlife Section of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in Columbia, said artificial populations of wild or feral hogs now exist across the state, and in most cases these populations were intentionally established and supplemented. "Hogs are native to Europe and parts of Asia and compete to the detriment of North American wildlife," Shipes said. "They compete directly in South Carolina with deer, turkey, raccoons, squirrels and other wildlife."

Hogs also damage property, according to Shipes. When hogs root for food, they damage roads, dikes, agricultural crops and wildlife habitat. In many cases the damage occurs on adjoining properties where property owners are trying to eliminate the hogs. The new law, which recently went into effect, stipulates that a landowner may capture and release a pig as long as the capture and release was conducted under authority of a permit issued by the DNR. The pig must also be released on the same tract of land upon which it was captured, or on an adjoining tract with permission of the owner. Under no circumstances can a pig be released in a county other than the county in which it was captured.

Commercial swine herds have been certified as pseudorabies free since 1995 and brucellosis free since 1998. "Domestic swine infected from contact with feral pigs threaten our state's disease-free status," Caver said. "Loss of our disease-free status would result in increased restrictions and testing, and there would be restrictions on the interstate movement of swine, especially breeding stock. The interstate movement of South Carolina swine would be significantly impacted. These diseases cause production losses and decreased profits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because brucellosis can be transmitted to humans, hunters who harvest and dress these animals are advised to handle the carcasses with care. When field dressing feral swine, hunters are advised to wear gloves and eye protection. Proper disposal of the offal and remains is essential to prevent the spread of disease to other farm animals and wildlife. Brucellosis is not transmitted through properly cooked meat-if the meat is thoroughly cooked, it is safe to eat. The National Pork Producers Association recommends that pork products be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

"We want hunters to be able to kill feral swine," Caver said. "We do not want known disease carriers to be moved around the state. We want to protect the health of the hunters, our ecosystems and prevent the spread of disease to domestic swine, livestock, pets and wildlife."

Feral pigs can also transmit brucellosis to cattle, sheep, goats, dogs and wildlife such as white-tailed deer. Pseudorabies is a fatal viral infection in other farm animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, dogs and cats as well as raccoons, opossums, skunks and rodents. Pseudorabies infections in horses are rare.

The South Carolina Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Agriculture-Veterinary Services also recognize the threat and impacts of free roaming hogs and associated diseases to wildlife, livestock, humans and property.

- Written by Greg Lucas -

as a brucellosis survivor, i can tell you that you do NOT want it. 6 months of being sick with fevers up to 105 and sweats that would soak the bedsheets. 3 doctors, 13 times getting my blood drawn, 2 catscans looking for brain tumors, and one MRI with contrast later....i was diagnosed with chronic brucellosis. every headache i get now and i think its coming back.

kill every stinking pig out there.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and nice work on putting this in the cyber duck blind, JAB.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    and nice work on putting this in the cyber duck blind, JAB.
    No kiddin, 2th. That arse hole acts like he owns the place or sumthin. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

I was going to post the same article.

For all the hog hunting done by this crowd, what kind of extra precautions are taken?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'