Thread: Garden Placement

Default Garden Placement

Ok all you garden gurus out there. I’m thinking of putting in a raised garden in the backyard for some peppers, tomatoes, squash, and zucchini, possibly a few others. Would it be best to position it where it gets shade in the morning and full sun in the afternoon or vise versa? I’m assuming full sun in the afternoon as long as it gets plenty of water but I recognize my limited knowledge in gardening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Give it the morning sun and afternoon shade. The sun is scorching in the afternoons.

ETA- I'm not a guru. I can't even plant okra right.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 03-24-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

The more sun the better.

I agree. Morning sun and afternoon shade. I plant raised beds at our house. First year, I did one bed, on one side of the old smokehouse. Got sun on the plants from once the sun was up over the eastern trees, until about 4pm, when it hit the roof of the smokehouse and went behind it. Was perfect for me too, that after I was home from work, I could be in the shade. Plants appreciated the break of the afternoon sun too.

I did a much bigger raised bed garden the next year, and it was sun from about 7:30am-7pm. It was a lot more work to keep them going and not get fried, and my crop yield was no better than the above mentioned 4pm and later shade.
    Last edited by BEAR; 03-24-2020 at 01:00 PM.

I think some afternoon shade is a good thing in most cases given our heat, especially in July/August. I believe the magic number is 6+ hours of full sun, preferably closer to 8.

That afternoon sun down if Darlington is tough on Veg. plants I would think.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I say if you have drip irrigation running or can keep them well watered, get the most sun you can with emphasis on the PM. Abundance of sun won’t hurt vegetables unless they dry out too much.

Somewhat related, check out the app “Lumos” for sun tracks throughout the year. You can set the date (sun’s path changes throughout the year) and stand at different spots in your yard to see what trees or buildings will block the sun at different times.

Put your maters and any other larger plants in homemade earth boxes (google earth box or check out this video of the basic DIY concept https://www.google.com/search?q=home...OHggfcnLbgAw23 ). I bought bigger, heavier tupperwares than are what in the video about 4 years ago and have more than double the tomato and pepper yield I had in years past. My pepper and tomato stalks are about 2" versus about 1" in the ground and in buckets. Follow the planting, lime, and fertilization guide on earth boxes website. Mine store 5 gallons of water in the bottom before draining out the overflow hole. Water wicks up through the soil allowing slow and constant watering, less disease, better nutrient utilization (no bottom end rot from lack of calcium), and far less maintenance than pots or in the ground. At the end of the year, I dump the soil into the garden, building the soil of my in ground garden.

That's neat. Best thing I have learned off this site is when you dig your hole throw a handful of lime in it and blossom rot NO MORE. It works. Never had it since.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    That's neat. Best thing I have learned off this site is when you dig your hole throw a handful of lime in it and blossom rot NO MORE. It works. Never had it since.
    Amen!

Here's another DIY video. I'm sure there's tons of them. I do mine almost identical, but use these https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QwzwIGg&adurl=