Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work from home

Default Work from home

First question is those of you that do this on a regular basis how the heck do you stand it? I have been up and working since 5:50am. Normally up and out of the house by 5:00 to be at work at 6:00. Im getting all kinds of work done but God i miss being able to get up from my desk and go out through the shop and put hands on jobs or go up to somebody face to face to see why a job isn’t complete yet, instead of sending a text or having someone go check on it for me. I mean this is the best thing for me and my family (have a almost 7 year old that was premie and has some crappy lungs) its also the best for the company because if it does hit our plant and wipe out some people i can step back in after the place has been cleaned and everything calms down and get everything back up and running. I guess my second question is how early is to early to start drinking Jack and Sprites? In all seriousness how do y’all make this work? Atleast i have been listening to some good music with Cody Jinks, Whisky Myers, and the likes.
    9DFEC6ED-2EB4-48B0-9816-B89A05B61347.jpg

JDE. I feel for you.

I'm TOTALLY READY to go back to my little world of cubicles.

This is day 2 for me.

Never did I ever think I'd fucking say that.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Working from home is a lot harder than it sounds. I generally put in much longer hours at home because I can do it any time.

Once you put that first drink in your hand, stay away from email...

Im 2 hours in and i dont know if im gunna make it. We got rid of our computer desk and chair years ago. A few things i have learned so far. #1 our dining room chairs aren’t meant for long sits #2 that nice decorative beveled edge on this table is not made for arms to be on while using a keyboard #3 my wife snores like crazy #4 so does our 9 month old lab but atleast she will keep your feet warm. #5 all hell is going to break loose in this house when my daughters wake up 6&8.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 03-23-2020 at 07:04 AM.

431677A2-E6FB-48A2-8EA8-F2FF9329196E.jpg
    The girls playhouse may become my new office. Long drop cord and maybe a wifi booster and i could be in business

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Working from home is a lot harder than it sounds. I generally put in much longer hours at home because I can do it any time.

Haha. Truth!

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post

Haha. Truth!

I’ve worked from home for 10 years, at least before all of this started happening. No way I could go back to an office.

If you don't like working from home maybe you should have gotten a man's job

my rules for working from home when I'm not on the road:

* Keep the tv off
    * Keep the good tunes/podcasts rolling
    * Get outside for at least 30 minutes between 11-1. Usually consists of taking the pups swimming for me
    * Keep a handful of turkey calls on your desk at all times
    * Don't start drinking until 4ish
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    If you don't like working from home maybe you should have gotten a man's job
    Hahaha. Last time i check machining was mostly a mans job. Not all the time but most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ecwooduck View Post
    my rules for working from home when I'm not on the road:

* Keep the tv off
    * Keep the good tunes/podcasts rolling
    * Get outside for at least 30 minutes between 11-1. Usually consists of taking the pups swimming for me
    * Keep a handful of turkey calls on your desk at all times
    * Don't start drinking until 4ish
    Sounds like a solid plan. I don’t see stay off scducks so im all good so far. I also told my boss im going to be unreachable for a few hours 4-1-20 AM

You really need two monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You really need two monitors.
    That was my plan but all the splitters got taken by other managers. I thought my old 32” had a hook up but it doesnt. My old 50” does but damn thats a little big for a computer screen.

Shit we still working like nothing happened, said there would have to be a death in one of my customer’s s facilities before they close, but hell we will be in there when they shut down anyways for maintenance.

But yea JDE....SAP is the real chit

5CF4B9F3-3148-49FA-8B8F-6793313A149A.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

We had Oracle working great 10 years ago. They switched us to Epicore. We got it were we liked it and bam back to crappy Oracle. Still wont run 1/2 the shortage reports i need. Thats why im doing it manually.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 03-23-2020 at 07:51 AM.

As if working in logistics was not easy enough right now, working from home with a screaming newborn is icing on the cake.

I love working from home. My last job I worked from home and was a lot more productive than working in an office. When you are in an office setting your boss is constantly changing what you need to do to fit the flavor of the moment, office gossip and banter, and it becomes increasingly difficult to keep a good schedule. At home I set my schedule and keep it, work at my pace, and keep the most important projects at the front. I didn't realize how much I missed working from home until I had this chance to get back to it. To make it work I usually listen to music or have CNBC on in the background, follow a set schedule, get up and walk around for a couple of minutes every hour or so, keep more projects in front of me than I can finish, limit my lunch break to usual time, and shut it down when it's time to go. Occasionally, I'll shut it down at 4 but as others have said once you pour do not touch the emails. I treat it as an office day and my wife supports office hours. If I could get my dual monitors from my office and make this permanent again I would immediately.
    For the ducks

I will add I wish I had a couple of days notice before we went to working remote because I haven't finished setting up my office in this house and have to get the cable line run for wired internet since the cable company wouldn't do it the first time. Card tables and wooden kitchen chairs aren't meant to be a full time desk in the living room.
    For the ducks