Thread: Question about lift kit (KYB)- shout out to KRT or other truck gurus

Default Question about lift kit (KYB)- shout out to KRT or other truck gurus

I'm trying to resolve a property damage claim for a client (not something I typically do, but it's a banking client who got into a car wreck, so . . . ). He had a KYB lift kit on an old Land Cruiser. I can find prices on the shocks (KYB MonoMax), but don't know what other components would have been included (ie- I know nothing about lift kits). So, the questions I have are: 1) what other components would be part of a lift kit beyond the shocks; 2) what might be the general cost of a KYB lift kit; and 3) what would install cost be? Thanks in advance.
    Carolina Counsel

How old of a Landcruiser is the first question? We talking about leafs or springs?

1994 LC. Leafs or springs? No comprende senor. When I say I know nothing about lift kits, I really meant to say I know nothing about trucks (even though I drive one, kind of). Consider me the equivalent of a soccer mom when it comes to vehicles.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    1994 LC. Leafs or springs? No comprende senor. When I say I know nothing about lift kits, I really meant to say I know nothing about trucks (even though I drive one, kind of). Consider me the equivalent of a soccer mom when it comes to vehicles.
    80 Series - Springs

Not familiar with KYB, maybe he meant OME? Anyways, this should give you an idea.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...ension_ome.htm

Thanks Wob. Definitely KYB (I found the shocks online). Anyone heard of them?
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Thanks Wob. Definitely KYB (I found the shocks online). Anyone heard of them?
    I saw their shocks. Shocks aren't a lift kit, though. You have use different springs for a lift. Well, I guess you could just use body spacers, but I really doubt that's what he'd have done.

If the guy just replaced some old worn out original shocks with some KYBs, I wouldn't say that was really a value-added proposition any more that replacing some old worn out windshield wipers with some nicer ones would be.

I'm not an insurance guy, though.

Edit: It's completely possible that he went with some other brand of springs and had the whole thing completely done by a pricey offroad specialty shop and you just don't have all of the information. But, the best I can tell, there's no such beast as a KYB lift kit for a 94 LC.
    Last edited by wob; 03-20-2020 at 01:39 PM.

10-4. He says he put a 2 inch lift on it, but my associate only got pics of the shocks (he didn't know what he was looking for either).
    Carolina Counsel

He didn’t keep receipts?
    More fuel = more boost!!

This is one of my customers. I’ve done well over 5k worth of work to this truck. It’s a 2nd gen Ram 2wd. The wheels and tires were 3000.00 easy. He was hit by a drunk driver at 7:45 AM on the way to school. Insurance told him the truck was worth 2500.00. I printed off his receipts and the “buy out” went to $7500.00

Last edited by KRT; 03-20-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

KYB shocks for a 1994 Land Cruiser are $161 for 4.

If it’s truly lifted, then he would of probably swapped the coil springs for something that was 2” taller or so???? You would need that information. Maybe he installed spacers instead?

I don’t think you have enough information to get a decent answer.

Regardless, you’re not talking about a bunch of money.......standard vs. some 2”+ kit is nothing......especially if you are trying to deal with some insurance claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    KYB shocks for a 1994 Land Cruiser are $161 for 4.

If it’s truly lifted, then he would of probably swapped the coil springs for something that was 2” taller or so???? You would need that information. Maybe he installed spacers instead?

I don’t think you have enough information to get a decent answer.

Regardless, you’re not talking about a bunch of money.......standard vs. some 2”+ kit is nothing......especially if you are trying to deal with some insurance claim.
    700.00 tops.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    700.00 tops.
    Word