Thread: First kill of the spring

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default First kill of the spring

Shot my first carpenter bee of the season today. Took 3 shots with the Daisy 'Buck' to get my windage and elevation dialed in. But the fourth shot laid him low.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Im on number 6
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Musta got warmer down there earlier. Today was the first day I noticed them buzzing my deck. Didn't see but one and the good Lord called him home.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I like to use those little weak BB guns cause it's easy to see the BB in flight. That way I can make adjustments as needed. If I had a decent camera like a Go Pro I'd film the hits and misses.

They were out thick last weekend.

Saw my first one at the house yesterday evening. It's time. Although I do prefer the racket to the bb.
    Carolina Counsel

I just did a walk-around and killed four with a squash racket including a double on a fighting pair.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Some pro tips:

1) They are very territorial so put the bodies of earlier victims out in the open on concrete or a fence post as a decoy,
    2) A fighting pair is usually so interested in each other that they make for an easy one-swing dutch double,
    3) Females release pheromones that attract males - they are both a visual and a scent lure,
    4) Where bright yellow or red clothing to attract them to within racket range,
    5) As the day warms up their reaction times increase - switch to a badminton racket for increased racket speed,
    6) In like manner, early mornings are best because they are slower, easier targets.

I had to refurbish my older, weaker BB gun earlier today. I have a newer Red Ryder but the older one was my dad's. It makes a Red Ryder look fancy. He called it his Daisy Dog Trainer. He rarely had to shoot a dog. He could just shake it and a hush would fall over the neighborhood. It's so weak it couldn't even put out an eye now. It'll still knock a carpenter bee out of the sky. My bird dog is completely on-board too. He doesn't retrieve them but he makes damn sure they are dead. I think my daily bag today was five. I shot an ass-load of BBs to get those. It's really good practice for teaching yourself to focus on the target while being very mindful of what's behind the target. My gun might not be strong enough to put out an eye but it would probably shatter the windshield of my wife's car or blow the glass out of the back door.

If it can shatter glass it can damn sure put out an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    If it can shatter glass it can damn sure put out an eye.
    That's why I always donned my safety glasses when this Memorex commercial came on.

I've got a 3' piece of crown molding whittled down on one end for a handle at the barn and shed for swatting them. My hand eye coordination has surely fallen off here lately. I'm embarrassed to give a batting average but I connected on a few and the traps are working.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

New Pro Tip #7) Don't leave the decoys out overnight, an opossum will eat them...

I prefer the electric fly swatters, that loud POP when you get them is so satisfying