Thread: Water and fire proof gun safe

Default Water and fire proof gun safe

I've been looking on the internet but also want recommendations. This thing will be in my garage, so I'll need a dehumidifier rod (or something) so assume I'll need some sort of outlet in it.

What make/model do you recommend?

Ain't a safe unless it's a Griffin.

As a safe dealer for over 40 years, I can assure you NOTHING is fire proof, burglary proof or water proof. All are rated to withstand certain temps, attacks, or certain amounts of water. 9/11 showed steel will burn at hot enough temps. I sell Browning as I think it is built as good or better than any gun safe I have ever seen. You have to take the back cover off of doors to see the difference, anyone can do a pretty paint job on the exterior. The thickness of steel used, welds, and how bolts are connected is the important part and where Browning stands out.

If you come in my shop in West Columbia, I can show you pictures of a Browning Medallion (not top of line, 3rd down) that went through a mobile home fire with a propane tank in the same room that exploded. My customer died in the fire. I was shocked after I opened it that the majority of things including his Grandfather's flag from WW2 in a plastic case was intact. All guns fired after cleaning.

I sell a small dehumidifier for $24.95 that will do way more than a gun safe. My customers love them and many people have bought extra ones for other purposes.
    Last edited by Rooster13; 03-20-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: misspelling
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Get a Sturdy

I know they aren't fire proof and rated to y temp for x amount of time. What I'm after is something that can't be easily broken into since it'll be in the garage and if storm surge comes in will stay dry for at least a few hours. The more hours the better.

Browning or American Security is what I would go with. I have an Amsec only because I found a scratched one that had better ratings than the Browning I was going to buy.

Graffunder
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I bought a browning from rooster13. Top notch on product and dealer.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

On a serious note what's your budget
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

$1,000 - $1,500 likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Graffunder
    Hush, tire kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    $1,000 - $1,500 likely.
    How many guns you wanting to store in it?

Rooster, what do you think about Brown safes

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    Ain't a safe unless it's a Griffin.
    Can someone loan them a 15 year-old to make a better website?

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    Rooster, what do you think about Brown safes
    I am not familiar with them at all, I have never seen one. I will do a little research on them.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!