Thread: 7 SAUM

Default 7 SAUM

Anybody have one? How do you like it??? I’m a sucker for a Model 7 and I made an impulse buy.

The SAUMs are bad ass rounds. You will like
    It

I’m thinking I’ll flip it. I’m trying to downsize a regret buying it.
    It is a cool rifle though.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I’m thinking I’ll flip it. I’m trying to downsize a regret buying it.
    It is a cool rifle though.
    What you want for it? Have any brass?

I bought my daughter's BF a LH ABolt in 7WSM a few years back.Got a deal on it. It's kills deer. Pretty damned accurate. Loaded some 160 grain ABs for it. Going to try to develop a 140 grain TTSX load that will get the velocity up in the 3150- 3200FPS range.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I love the Model 7 too but a magnum cartridge in one seems like it would have pretty brutal recoil.

I've also been leery of the SAUM and WSM cartridges because they came out in so many different calibers. That makes me concerned about their longevity. I have a Model 7 in 6mm Rem and would prefer to have a more popular, mainstream, readily available chambering. I consider 6mm Rem to be a "legacy" round. You need to reload to have any choices in bullets. I won't be surprised if I have to make my own brass for it some day.

You really are a pussy. A 12 gauge shotgun with 3" shells has more recoil (52.0 ft lbs) than a .375 H&H Mag (37. 2 ft lbs) ... most men (most) can handle a magnum rifle's recoil...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

And the Saum’s are really what I’d call a “light magnum”. Think 280 rem + p. Some extra ass but not exactly a fire breather

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    You really are a pussy. A 12 gauge shotgun with 3" shells has more recoil (52.0 ft lbs) than a .375 H&H Mag (37. 2 ft lbs) ... most men (most) can handle a magnum rifle's recoil...
    Damn Nitro, you might want to consider backing off the caffeine. I makes you sound angry.

Maybe you should not be such a crybaby.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Who cried and who shit in your cornflakes this morning?

have a snickers

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Who cried and who shit in your cornflakes this morning?
    I just prefer facts to your ill founded opinions. Physics. Look it up.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I didn't state my opinion as fact. I said "it seems like it would". That makes me a pussy?

A magnum cartridge in a very light, small rifle will kick more than a standard weight rifle. It might not bother big strong you but FLS didn't mention who would be shooting the gun. Model 7s are very often bought for kids. Kids are pussies. You're obviously a bit sensitive about anyone blasphemeing magnums. Didn't mean to trigger you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    And the Saum’s are really what I’d call a “light magnum”. Think 280 rem + p. Some extra ass but not exactly a fire breather
    That’s my understanding. Seems they work best with a fast twist barrel loaded long. May be a reason they didn’t make the Magnum Model 7s very long. We shall see.

I’ve got a 7 in 308. Older wood stocked 18.5” gun. It’s punchy with full power loads. A better recoil pad would help

I have owned a couple of Mod 7s in 7 Saum, never had a problem feeding them up to 168 Berger Classics. If you get into the Berg 195s you will have to crunch powder. and get low fps regardless. Re stocking the 7 saum is probably the biggest down side as finding a used one is tough and the wait time and availability of a custom is a bit of grind. IF you keep it, you might want to punch out the back tang hole to same as BDL for a little stronger action interface. I never did it but it also irked me. Both ran very well but I wanted a little more LOA availability as well. Hand punched one to 7 wsm and sold it like a dummy.

Currently own two 7 saums , one by Patriot valley with a helix 6 tube that I am still building up, one a standard 700 bdl with mag contour that has been chopped to 22 re crowned, restocked and some old HS precision btm metal with a couple of other nick nacks.

I can run the 145 LRX right at 3k with H 4831 SSC into 1/4 moa and it flat kills with that combo. Offers very low felt recoil in my opine, long barrel life, plenty of projectile offerings and low powder charges plus plenty of good brass makes it my favorite cartridge out there. Can also run the Berg 168 Classics around 2850 same powder no problem and the 162 ELD same. All punch little groups in the same 1/4 MOA.

All in all I haven't found anything I like better especially with all the new brass offerings.
    Genesis 9;2

I’ve got an HS stock and a Timney so I should be set. Ordered 100 pieces of Norma brass and some Redding dies. I was looking at the LRX and the Sierra Gamechanger. I shout the TTSXs out of my 270 last year and they killed so well i had settled on that being my do all hunting combo till I impulse bought the SAUM.

The 145 LRX is a wicked critter on all facets, might not fit the mod 7 , if not the 140 TTSX is same same to 400. The 162 ELD M is also wicked at slightly lower velocities, might not fit the mod 7, but will make a mess even on second exposed rib shots.
    Genesis 9;2