Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Recommendations for CWP

When I worked (briefly) in the retail firearms sales bidness back in the late 80's, we used to hawk 38 Special revolvers as the best gun for "new shooters" - especially women. I now think that is bad advice in most cases.

Many new shooters have difficulty working a stock double action revolver (or semi for that matter) trigger press without disturbing their sight picture. While, yeah, you can put an Apex spring kit in a SW 642, I'm talking stock here. That having been said, I personally carry a 642 with an Apex kit in it a lot. But I have checked it with my carry ammo for reliability... the issue with putting a lighter spring kit in ANY gun is that you are also inevitably going to reduce striker power, which may give ignition issues on some brands of ammo.

the LCR DOES seem to have a lighter and smoother trigger press than a S&W - I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, especially in 9mm (commonality with the duty ammo I carry), but I still think it would be harder to shoot WELL than a striker fired gun.

So, of those listed, I'd lean towards the Glock 43 or Shield. If she is planning on purse carrying and has room, the S&W Shield EZ 9mm is getting rave reviews for ease of use. I have not fired one yet.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I ain't voluntarily giving my wife a gun, and god help the poor sob that tries to mess with her kids. They better have good aim. Good luck though woodie
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Revolver and teach her to use a speed loader. A semi auto that is stove piped because the lady limp waisted it under stress is about as useful as a small rock.
    This. New shooters, and maybe especially women, can have problems dealing with an auto that presents any kind of issue whether it be a stovepipe, loose mag, empty chamber, etc.

Revolvers tend to go boom with pulling the trigger.

FWIW, my wife really likes the S&W 642 with the spring kit Swamp Rat mentions. She definitely did NOT like the original factory trigger pull.

I bought my mom an LCR. She had arthritic hands and couldn’t shoot my Smiths, but had no problem with the Ruger.

642 with the Apex kit and crimson trace laser grips.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

My wife prefers revolvers also. I like that she can empty a hammerless revolver from inside of a pocket or purse, no need to draw.

Revolver.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I started my daughter out with a 642. Once she was comfortable I bought her a shield. She went and bought a bodyguard 380 about 2 weeks ago. She seems to like it ok but the verdict is still out. She does not like a revolver... I have a LCR as well but she still wasn't happy with it.

Both my girls have Glock 19s.

They also have 9mm Shields. The youngest is asking for a G43.

I don't prefer Glocks, but they work, and have a very simple manual of arms. My elder daughter is currently in Boston and cannot carry. So she has a Microtech UTC and an Emerson LaGriffe. She carries those.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Six instead of smiths crapy 5
    4A8AC114-7E95-4815-B8DA-40AA529E3514.jpg

No real manual of arms. Point pull, trigger. SELF DEFENSE is 99% close range. No jams and if ya have a dud round just pull the trigger again. I don’t want someone new to firearms having to clear a weapon under stress.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh.. Man, I love a Colt DS.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Take her to a range that rents handguns, let her pick out a few to shoot and let her decide them what she is more comfortable with.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

We’re all pretty much on the same page. My brother and I discussed the comments above and he and his wife went to a range to try out several and they settled on the M&P 9 Shield M2. However, the smartest thing is that they both realize they have some learning and practicing to do before they will consider getting their CWP’s. For the time being they will concentrate on training, which is great.

The short term issue is that he could only round up 150 rounds of FMJ, so he needs to keep his eyes open to get any real training accomplished.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-27-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I got in touch with my local chapter of the well armed woman. The lady that met us showed up with 6 different pistols in different calibers. She schooled my wife on everything from history, to bullets, handling, loading, stance, and shooting. After 2 sessions she was pretty confident in what she was doing. If you get a semi auto, make sure she can rack it easily and stay clear of slide bite. Buy the gun she is most comfortable with.
    Last edited by Moose843; 03-22-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Get her a .38 snub nose and a light grain bullet, she wont be shooting clay targets w/ it.
    Piece of cake to operate, shoot and has stopping power

I like the thread and feel like title should include Conceal carry for a female, wife,etc.

I don’t have a ton of experience with revolvers. I feel like double action snub noses have piss poor accuracy, please let me know if I am missing something. I own a hand me down 38 special and it stays in the safe. I have shot a few other make/models but most of my experience is w an auto.

My wife shoots my g17 and SW shield 9mm well but I worry about her consistently racking them. She seems to be able to rack the glock easier than the shield. I am less worried about her shooting than her ability to rack the slide. I have been making her practice just racking the slide fairly regularly.

Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, my main drawback with the Shield for my wife was the difficulty of racking the slide. That thing is stiff. I assume it loosens up with break -in, and possibly EZ model is not as tough, but compared to Glock 43 or Sig P365, it was a no go for us.

She's done some shooting, but honestly, her best bet would be to pull the weapon and hand it to our son..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I like the thread and feel like title should include Conceal carry for a female, wife,etc.

I don’t have a ton of experience with revolvers. I feel like double action snub noses have piss poor accuracy, please let me know if I am missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The overwhelming majority of situations in which a carry gun is used are extremely close range (like you almost feel stupid shooting paper targets at such short distance, close). As long as the gun can hit the side of a barn it will be fine. The most important thing is that it works when it’s needed. Revolvers are just that. They won’t go out of battery if it gets jammed up against your attacker, no safety to worry about, no limp wristing malfunctions. For a lot of people who carry, not just women, it’s the best option. Get a trigger job done by a reputable gunsmith and train with reduced recoil loads.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    The overwhelming majority of situations in which a carry gun is used are extremely close range (like you almost feel stupid shooting paper targets at such short distance, close). As long as the gun can hit the side of a barn it will be fine. The most important thing is that it works when it’s needed. Revolvers are just that. They won’t go out of battery if it gets jammed up against your attacker, no safety to worry about, no limp wristing malfunctions. For a lot of people who carry, not just women, it’s the best option. Get a trigger job done by a reputable gunsmith and train with reduced recoil loads.
    So close as within 3 steps...

Revolvers are great in this situation.