Thread: QDMA Partners Up To Improve Public Lands...

Default QDMA Partners Up To Improve Public Lands...

QDMA is proud to announce a new partnership with Southern Forestry Consultants (SFC) and its subsidiary Wiregrass Ecological Associates (WEA) that will result in improved habitat and hunting opportunities on public and private lands.

Under a memorandum of understanding, the QDMA and its partners have entered into a 10-year Master Stewardship Agreement (MSA) with the USDA Forest Service (USFS) to thin densely stocked pine and hardwood stands that currently provide poor quality wildlife habitat and marginal hunting opportunities. Additional habitat management practices, education and outreach are other key components of the partnership.

“Habitat quality on Forest Service lands directly impacts public land deer quality and abundance and, therefore, hunter success and satisfaction,” said Matt Ross, QDMA Assistant Director of Conservation. “The habitat improvement practices in this MSA will improve forest health, deer herd quality and hunter success on thousands of acres of public land.”

Recent trends and ongoing research suggest declining white-tailed deer harvest on some federal lands is likely the result of diminishing acreage in young forest cover. The USFS has identified that suppression of fire and reduction of timber harvesting activities over time on some of their lands have changed habitat conditions to create more dense stands and less early successional communities. Active forest management under QDMA’s guidance and through this MSA will enhance and restore wildlife habitat in these places.

https://www.qdma.com/qdma-improves-h...621LUSu79IA1F8

interesting.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I can't wait to see this project take off running!
    Site selection will be interesting to follow.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I can't wait to see this project take off running!
    Site selection will be interesting to follow.
    Hopefully they start in Ridgeway. There are 2 or 3 trees still standing up there.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

The Wambaw unit of the Francis Marion would be a good test tract.

I think this is great. My approach to our place has been balancing aesthetics with wildlife management. When we bought our place, it hadn't been touched with a saw in 20 years. I set to clear cutting the mature pines, thinning the middle-aged pines, and did select cuts in some of our mature hardwoods, leaving other sections of mature hardwoods alone. Our wildlife consultant did a ride through a few weeks ago and suggested thinning the balance of the hardwoods. I declined for the reasons I didn't do it in the first place. I like the way an old growth stand looks. I know it's not great for wildlife, but we have plenty of food and cover. Balance to me is the key.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by usrgce View Post
    The Wambaw unit of the Francis Marion would be a good test tract.
    Working on some selection with the USFS now as of calls this afternoon. Just getting started but Wambaw is definitely in consideration.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Working on some selection with the USFS now as of calls this afternoon. Just getting started but Wambaw is definitely in consideration.
    Interesting. Good job.