Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Market Downturn Opportunities?

Default Market Downturn Opportunities?

Anyone messing with the market or thinking about it? Times like this are when some get super rich. I bet those in the know are salivating. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Anyone messing with the market or thinking about it? Times like this are when some get super rich. I bet those in the know are salivating. Your thoughts?
    The only way to get super rich off of something like this is to be really rich when you start, then super leverage yourself on a super risky play, and then get super lucky in the timing to get out.

There will be opportunities to make some money if you're liquid, but opportunities like this aren't generally game changers in life for us common folks.

I don't think we have seen the bottom.

ugh....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Today I would hate to be one of the financial advisors that called around telling his clients Friday a week ago was a buying opportunity.

That 1 year CD rate of 2.80% is looking awful good now.

Blue horseshoe loves Annicot Steel....

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Today I would hate to be one of the financial advisors that called around telling his clients Friday a week ago was a buying opportunity.

That 1 year CD rate of 2.80% is looking awful good now.
    OK. I'll play

Pick five stocks that were a buying opportunity last friday and we will look at them at one month intervals for one year and see how they perform.

Anyone wanna a piece of that action?

(the point being they will be worth more at some point)

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    OK. I'll play

Pick five stocks that were a buying opportunity last friday and we will look at them at one month intervals for one year and see how they perform.

Anyone wanna a piece of that action?

(the point being they will be worth more at some point)

You sell it as "It WAS a good buying opportunity last week. Now it's a GREAT buying opportunity."

or you just short it...

I've never had any luck timing a market. I'm 47 years old. I'll worry about the stock market in another decade or so. I don't have any money in there now that I'll need to get to before then.

Although, I should have been smart enough to pull back on my 16 year old son's 529 plan.

Where is Cromer in all this?!?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

day trading

Buying more crypto...

and precious metals

there's guys on here that thought Tom Steyer had a chance

Options are risky but the best payday
    Stick with your mutual funds and 401k and leave it alone

You want to capitalize on this, then refi your house on a 15 year at crazy low rates, then be aggressive in your repayment and own your home in 10 years. If you owe 20 years or more on your mortgage and you plan to stay, you will reap far greater rewards down the line doing this instead of trying to day trade a few thousand bucks in a volatile market. That’s about the only sure fire way to capitalize on this mess. I know it’s not as sexy as buying “sure fire winners” or shorting last weeks great buys.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    You want to capitalize on this, then refi your house on a 15 year at crazy low rates, then be aggressive in your repayment and own your home in 10 years. If you owe 20 years or more on your mortgage and you plan to stay, you will reap far greater rewards down the line doing this instead of trying to day trade a few thousand bucks in a volatile market. That’s about the only sure fire way to capitalize on this mess. I know it’s not as sexy as buying “sure fire winners” or shorting last weeks great buys.
    Just to add, and I'm sure you folks know this, but it usually doesn't make sense to refi unless you're going to be staying for a while.

I split my cash into four pots. I committed one pot about 10 days ago. I have three more to go and will disburse them when there's a significant dip. I won't hit it perfectly, but I figure it's the best time to put cash to work that we have had in years.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post

I’m refinancing. Locked in 2.375% for a 15 year fixed. I’m planning on being in my house for the foreseeable future, it was a no brainer at that rate.

I'm going long on pork bellies.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Options are risky but the best payday
    Stick with your mutual funds and 401k and leave it alone
    Agreed.

I do think, however, that index funds could be a RELATIVELY safe hedge. It's just a matter of deciding when to get in, no?