Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gheenoe

Default Gheenoe

Was a little too rough on the Gheenoe last year, time to do some repairs. I use this boat a lot in rivers getting up and down shoals and push this boat pretty hard. Had punched some holes in the bottom, and there were also soft spots in the ridges from it just being an old boat. Got it all ground out over the weekend to see how much of a project this is actually going to be. Have a pretty good plan with some 1208 biaxal with epoxy resin. Going to fix the actual holes first and then glass a full "cap" sheet of 1208 across the whole bottom of the boat. And then glass in some 3" wide kevlar strip over the high wear areas so that will be the first line of defense on those high wear ridges on the bottom. Will keep updated on progress. Any tips are appreciated.

G6.jpg
    G1.jpg
    G3.jpg
    G5.jpg
    G2.jpg
    G4.jpg

following. I have a project boat like this. What are you using the original livewell for? And, is there anything you would do different with the overall layout/setup?

Why the full sheet of 1208 over the bottom?
    I don’t think it will be necessary and also the 08 have chop stand stitched in. This will be a pain to lay down correctly over the whole hull and the chop will not provide much strength. If anything go with a lighter weight woven.

Original livewell is used for storage. Sealed up the hole and use to store lifejackets etc. I like the layout it suits what I use it for well. I have the the front deck removable and have battery and gas tank underneath.

Full sheet of 1208 biaxal on bottom: Using biaxal not chop. It is overkill I know. But the hell I put this boat through it will be worth it. I use this boat to get anywhere and am not afraid to run it hard. Gassing it over Logs, rocks, etc... there isn't anywhere I cant get to (or at least try to) in this boat. The 1208 will basically be for hull protection, not as much for strength. Weight wise a full sheet with resin won't add much weight at all so that is a non factor.

Looks like a sweet little ride.

What kind of speeds do you see with something like that hauling a typical ducking load?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Could you glass in some pre bent pieces (strips, to match your current radius) of aluminum sheet metal on your main wear spots to really reinforce it? Or would that be a bad thing?
    Last edited by Bownut; 03-09-2020 at 09:27 AM.

1208 has mat on the back, it is not going to radius well when laying on the bottom.

You would be better served by additional layers of Kevlar with about 1” overlap on the strakes.

Runs about 20-22 loaded down.

Aluminum would not work.

Southernwake: Will let you know how it radiuses. I am aware of the thickness and do realize that this may be an issue. We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    You would be better served by additional layers of Kevlar with about 1” overlap on the strakes.
    This may be the route I go if I decide not to go with the full sheet of 1208. If I can get the 1208 to form right with the curves, I would like the full hull protection that it would ensure instead of just kevlar on the strakes.
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 03-09-2020 at 09:46 AM.

That's toting the mail and about as fast as I would want to go in a rig like that. What size motor?

What will you use to form curves in the missing sections?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

22hp. I'm happy with the power and setup. It will go a little faster with just me in the boat. Plenty fast to be going while driving standing up.

I built a mud motor for mine and ran it one season before selling the motor. I beefed up my transom really good. Converted my Yamaha 9.9 to a 15 and it will run 32mph. They are pretty tough little boats. In the near future I’m going to build a jack plate.
    3EC6812F-6F73-41D9-BD5E-D21DEDF0B92B.jpg
    F4AA57A6-EF96-445E-8D83-DB1DB9EE3E7C.jpg

Had a friend put bed liner on the Bottom of his new gheenoe. I would imagine that would make your speed suffer a bit. Gator glide may be a good thing to put on it though.

Nice rig, they're fun boats. I redid my transom when I first got it to support an heavy motor. Cut out the old and reglassed in a new one. Its solid now.

How does he like the bedliner? Can't imagine any good results out of bedliner. Would slow you down significantly and seem to "grab" everything that you needed to go over. Thought about gator glide but its pricey for just a gheenoe.

He sold it and got an aluminum boat. Don’t think he liked the bed liner as much as he thought he would.

Try some steelflex on bottom after repairing.

1208 will lay up just fine on the bottom. I have a River Hawk B60 with a pocket tunnel that I did the exact same thing with, but I used 1708 on the bottom instead. It was a bit of a challenge to get it to form around the curves in some places, but it worked out just fine.

Got around to fixing the holes this past weekend. Patched from the inside first then worked on the outside. The 1208 radiused on the curves just fine. Sanded down and put another layer of 1208 on the really bad areas last night. Next I'll sand down really well and lay the full sheet across the bottom.

G1.jpg

g2.jpg

G3.jpg

Finished up the glass work a couple weeks ago. Multiple strips of 1208 over the holes. Smoothed out on bottom, then ran a full cap sheet of 1208. It radiused on the curves well, no problem with the thickness. Ate up about a gallon and some change of resin, but it is very strong now and built up enough to take on whatever. Capped it off with strips of Kevlar on the high wear ridges. I'm no professional but it'll get the job done. Sanded everything down, only thing left is paint, now time to go beat her up again.

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

G4.jpg