Thread: no power Ram Pump

Default no power Ram Pump

simple design. lots of applications for this

We have one that will run 4 large rainbird sprinklers laid in one of our creeks to handle a large garden. It has been functional for 25 years with little maintenance...

The guy in that video should know better than to use black iron pipe. I know he's not using it as "potable" water, but that's still just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    The guy in that video should know better than to use black iron pipe. I know he's not using it as "potable" water, but that's still just stupid.
    my first thought
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We have one that will run 4 large rainbird sprinklers laid in one of our creeks to handle a large garden. It has been functional for 25 years with little maintenance...
    What size piping and did you use for that coverage and how far is it ran? I've been thinking about doing the same for one of my areas but the distance I'll need to run may be to far.
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Started with 6" necked down to 2. Run is 75 yards or so but it is in the mountains with a ton of fall so pressure is no problem...

This guy has a couple pretty interesting videos on these as well

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Started with 6" necked down to 2. Run is 75 yards or so but it is in the mountains with a ton of fall so pressure is no problem...
    Gotcha…. Ive got a decent hill to climb and about 150 yds to run so I'm gonna weigh my options. Though about running it to a old holding tank and then build another one to pump it out. All depends on the rain if I'll even need to use it because you know how those droughts can hit regardless of the rain forest we live in over here now!
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Why ? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Why ? Just curious.
    Well black iron is coated in oil and will rust faster than any other metal. So he'll be replacing those fittings much quicker than if he would have used galvanized, brass or stainless. You should never use black iron in any potable water system for the reasons of rust etc.

Edit to say: I really have no clue how he is using the system. He just open himself up for potential maintenance issues down the road with rust and debris. Granted he is pulling water from a creek so he will have debris regardless.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 03-05-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Gotcha. That’s what I thought you meant. That said galvanized leaches Zinc and lead, Stainless is high as camel balls. I’ve replaced schedule 40 pipe that I ran 25 years ago that was still on decent shape( not chemically treated system). Even type K copper will get pin holes around 25- 30 years.

Oh I know. I'm not gonna argue. They run chill water etc every day out of carbon steel and they last many many years.

Oh I know. I'm not gonna argue. They run chill water etc every day out of carbon steel and they last many many years.
    True but most chilled and condenser water loops are treated with rust inhibitor.