Thread: College anglers disqualified....

Default College anglers disqualified....

College anglers were disqualified for inadvertently hooking a fish that they had hooked earlier in the day after breaking their line.

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2020...l-championship

That’s a tough one. Had they caught the line when it broke it would have been a legal catch.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    That’s a tough one. Had they caught the line when it broke it would have been a legal catch.
    I think they might have had to catch the line with another rod and reel, which might be what you are trying to say. I know that in the past when I fished in tournaments(redfish) you had to use a rod and reel, had to be caught IN the mouth, so really once it broke off I dont know if that fish would have mattered either way.

I know you can break a fish off and grab the line and pull it in. I think what got them, is the fact that an hour our so had passed before they hung it the second time. From what I read, they couldn't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that was the fish that they hooked originally. It's a crazy situation all the way around.

Silver lining....

An unwanted pregnancy was avoided. Possibly 2.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I think they might have had to catch the line with another rod and reel, which might be what you are trying to say. I know that in the past when I fished in tournaments(redfish) you had to use a rod and reel, had to be caught IN the mouth, so really once it broke off I dont know if that fish would have mattered either way.
    Actually I’m talking about them being able to grab the line with their hands right then.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Actually I’m talking about them being able to grab the line with their hands right then.
    My only thought would be is if there was a lie detector test at the end of the tournament and the question was asked "Did you catch every fish with a rod and reel?" how would you answer that? I get that 90% of it was caught with the rod and reel then the line snapped before getting it to the boat. That would be interesting to see how it came back had they grabbed the line right then.