Thread: First of the year

Default First of the year

Cast a midge pattern to some risers in the pond late yesterday eve. Caught a few, missed a bunch. They were a little sluggish but still a good way to end the day.
    IMG_1098.jpg
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

A little bigger fish this eve, about a dozen this size Humidity brought the hatch up a little earlier and heavier.
    0928D5F9-46A4-490D-B180-0070BC5DB95D.jpg
    5C93D86F-F1A6-409E-BE5A-38D52835CF6B.jpg
    AB65A3F5-0B1E-4B9F-AE9D-49E03895765E.jpg

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Like!
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

mmm, brimps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I’m ready to catch some
    Houndsmen are born, not made

My religious beliefs teach me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time of my death. I do not concern myself with that, but to be always ready whenever it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and all men would be equally brave.
    Stonewall Jackson

very nice!

Noticed these hatching yesterday early afternoon, may be some here interested.
    IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    Tied up some of these then went back a little later.
    IMG_1180.jpg
    They start up about an hour before dark, gets heavier as it goes and slows abruptly as light fades.
    IMG_1195 (1).jpg
    IMG_1185 (1).jpg
    IMG_1193 (1).jpg
    Lots of middle size fish but plenty of fun. It's time if you have a fly rod and a pond.

Those flies are sweet! Nice work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Thanks but they are very simple ties.

Awesome!

Fished a while yesterday afternoon from the boat. Bream are still on those big midges. Tried a small streamer for a bit and caught a dozen or so small bass. Switched over to a white bead chain bully, the color mostly to not discriminate and caught fish about every cast around the bank to 3-4 deep. Picked up some bigger bluegills and a couple nice shell crackers. Many of the fish I caught had several midge larvae in their mouths. Figured someone might find the report useful.
    893C805B-FFD6-4C4A-B907-1D7BE73A47A4.jpg
    71311A82-09BE-4B95-9E6C-139B880D8BCB.jpg
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 03-15-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Nice T, I’m ready to catch some fish
    Houndsmen are born, not made

My religious beliefs teach me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time of my death. I do not concern myself with that, but to be always ready whenever it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and all men would be equally brave.
    Stonewall Jackson

Tried again yesterday afternoon here. Nothing showing on surface but found them still willing to take midge larvae down about 4-5' fished with slow short twitches. Had a very large bass roll up and take a mid-size bream as I played it in but ended up spitting it back out. Later swapped rods for a spinnerbait and picked up a little bit smaller bonus fish.

Nice.