Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gladesmen or Gheenoe LT25

Default Gladesmen or Gheenoe LT25

Downsizing boats but and I want to be able to take the kids out and fish the shallows of NC and SC for reds and trout. A buddy has a Gladesmen he is selling but it needs a little bit of motor work. Kids are 9 and 7 and are getting to the age they can cast pretty well.

I would love to pole them onto some fish over the next 4-5 years in NC.

I will put a small trolling motor on whatever we get.

Those LT25s look really stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine fishes a Gheenoe and while it’s ok, it’s like fishing in a big canoe.....Three people in it would suck. Unless you have access to immediate skinny water with no real large water crossing you would probably be disappointed. We fished up around goat island for four days this fall and he was stuck behind the house in Gray Bay the entire trip because of wind.

That would be pretty frustrating for me if I owned one.

Gladesmen. I got one of the smaller gheenoes, theyre awesome for small water if it’s just you and maybe a buddy. It ain’t hitting on much room and there ain’t much more to the big ones. Trying to pull off you and the kids would give more headache than anything.

I’m just trying to take one kid at a time. I have fished that water before so I know what I am going back to.

I just picked this up. I’m going to get a 2.5 hp for the back to get me where I’m going. The seat will slide back and I can put another one up front for my son.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post

I just picked this up. I’m going to get a 2.5 hp for the back to get me where I’m going. The seat will slide back and I can put another one up front for my son.

Nice. I want something a little bit bigger. A super 16 or LT25. I go back and look at all of the places I caught fish and they are all shallow areas that I could access without crossing big water.

There’s a pathfinder in Little River SC for sale. If interested, go to fishmyrtlebeach.com. Number is on the webpage. Needs work on the motor. It’s got a big trolling motor. Great boat for trout and spottails. You can probably get a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Buddy of mine fishes a Gheenoe and while it’s ok, it’s like fishing in a big canoe.....Three people in it would suck. Unless you have access to immediate skinny water with no real large water crossing you would probably be disappointed. We fished up around goat island for four days this fall and he was stuck behind the house in Gray Bay the entire trip because of wind.

That would be pretty frustrating for me if I owned one.
    I would agree with this on the original conventional Gheeneos. However, the Super 16 and LT 25 are different animals. Much beamier and more robust than the original models. One from the Custom shop can be pimped out well to make a hell of fishing rig.

This one here is a serious shallow water rig...

gheenoe.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Unsolicited suggestion...look at a 1520 KW or 162 Scout. They pole surprisingly well and can be had for short money. Very stable all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    I would agree with this on the original conventional Gheeneos. However, the Super 16 and LT 25 are different animals. Much beamier and more robust than the original models. One from the Custom shop can be pimped out well to make a hell of fishing rig.

This one here is a serious shallow water rig...

gheenoe.jpg
    Yes. From poling the grass, to sneaking into low tide spots, topwater reds in those giant shallow bays, to hitting those trout creeks in NC during November.

I know that water up there pretty well.

Neither
    Gladesman especially and gheenoe are pretty specialize craft that I wouldn’t put more than 2 on.

Look at your 16-17 poling skiff options especially with children.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Neither
    Gladesman especially and gheenoe are pretty specialize craft that I wouldn’t put more than 2 on.

Look at your 16-17 poling skiff options especially with children.
    This was my concern...the two mentioned float in nothing, but can capsize in anything

Default Gladesmen or Gheenoe LT25

My original post wasn’t clear. I am not trying to put more than 1 kid at a time on a boat. I’m looking for a very specific boat, to fish on very specific days, and in specific places. I want to pole those big bays and small creeks with one kid at a time.

I fished that water for 3 years from 2014-2017. It isn’t the Broad River in Beaufort. It’s a completely different world up there.

Last edited by led0321; 03-02-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Take an honest look at wants vs needs here.

In my opinion buy a boat you can fish both kids on. I doubt they care how the eat was as long as it pulls on the rod. You also don’t have to decide which one you are taking out. You can still pole and fish most of the areas you mentioned and get a guide/friend for the days you really want to work on technical shallow water fish. The kids really aren’t going to want to be poled around all day for a few shots on fish vs something easier at least for awhile more.
    You can always get out and wade on flood tides.

If this is really for you justified through the kids ignore what I said and get the Gman, way cooler than a gheenoe!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Take an honest look at wants vs needs here.

In my opinion buy a boat you can fish both kids on. I doubt they care how the eat was as long as it pulls on the rod. You also don’t have to decide which one you are taking out. You can still pole and fish most of the areas you mentioned and get a guide/friend for the days you really want to work on technical shallow water fish. The kids really aren’t going to want to be poled around all day for a few shots on fish vs something easier at least for awhile more.
    You can always get out and wade on flood tides.

If this is really for you justified through the kids ignore what I said and get the Gman, way cooler than a gheenoe!
    Yea. I get it. We have 4 kids so I’m not buying a boat planning on taking everyone. That ship is sailing when I sell the big boat. I have 4 years left in the Corps and we are gonna camp and fish all over eastern NC. I want something small to tickle the itch, keep the kids around the water, and to do that cheap.

Gheenoe. Get the biggest one you can.

Gheenoe or Riverhawk. I have a 13’ Riverhawk with a Yamaha 9.9 converted to 15hp w/ 11p ss prop that will run 29-32 by myself depending on conditions. I have been fishing in this boat for 10 years and It is a Blast. PI and MI is usually my go to mostlly all summer. Occasionally it is calm enough to get it out of the inlet and into the big water for a little while. Usually can fish the jetties with no problems. I would certainly get the bigger version for your needs. 13’ is a bit small but i fish solo a lot.
    5C84293B-B5FF-4047-BB9C-693975E98AA9.jpg
    7AC53075-746C-4839-B539-6095760DB78D.jpg
    7D0CD912-3B85-44B2-A007-5C769DF477AC.jpg
    C445494A-6B9E-472E-B5E8-2ABACE76C83A.jpg
    06EBDD92-C0ED-4C0C-A239-0AC712CF0480.jpg
    0B7FDEE9-CA77-4354-9279-536F0FA269AC.jpg

I think I found one already in Florida.