Thread: Wiring Trailer Reverse Lights

Default Wiring Trailer Reverse Lights

I am currently installing new LED lights that would function as reverse lights on my boat trailer. I will be converting the existing 4 prong connection with a new 7 pin. Does anyone know for sure which points the black/red wires from the LED lights land inside the new 7 pin connector?

I am guessing the LED red wire goes to the "Aux" pin that is constantly hot when the vehicle is ON and the LED black wire goes to the center reverse light pin. That would provide enough power (doesn't need much) to the red wire and the black wire/reverse pin are used to switch the circuit on and off.

Would like to confirm before I short out these new lights. Thanks.

https://www.rverscorner.com/images/7pole.jpg

Just did this Friday on the boat trailer.

And get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-10110...64531852&psc=1
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

That makes sense and I like that junction box. Too far down the road already to use it but will keep that in mind next time I do this.

So according to that diagram I can hook the red/hot wire from the LED light to the black "power" connection and then connect the black LED light wire to the pin in the center and then the LED red wire will be constant hot with the black center wire opening and closing the circuit? Thanks.

Without seeing your wiring diagram, what you're saying doesn't sound right. Most things on a boat, car or tractor are negative ground and switched on the hot side. On a 7 pin connector, generally white is ground. The opposite side pin is purple and the reverse (positive). Your black wire would go to the ground (white pin) and the red wire would go to the purple pin.

7 pin.jpg

I was thinking that there was going to be a relay involved but without a relay the LED black wire does need to go to ground. You are right

Worked like a charm. Very excited about this upgrade.