Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 garden thread.

All our stuff is in raised beds. My four year old is all about the garden, and wants to plant a bunch of pumpkins this year. We’ll do the usuals, pepper varieties, tomato varieties, squash, zucchini, sweet corn, some Clemson spineless and Bowling red okra, a couple cucumbers for the wife, and a sunflower variety. Going to add the hog wire panels to our gourd tunnel and plant it too this year. That’ll be really cool once it’s going. The boys get seeds from Burpee, Baker Creek, and Harris Seeds.

If you’re into trying new stuff in the garden, Baker Creek is a great source of seeds from all over the place.
    https://www.rareseeds.com/

Harris Seeds, has the biggest selection of corn and pumpkin varieties that I have ever seen. Lot of their stuff is in big bulk, but neat stuff.
    https://www.harrisseeds.com/

Also, if you like big pumpkins, sunflowers, tomatoes, corn, etc, Holland’s Giants are good folks. They have a ton of other products and info to help you grow some big stuff in the garden.

http://hollandsgiants.com/

This is our setup with our beds and gourd tunnel frame. Beds are 4’x16’, and gourd tunnel is bed sides are 4’x26’. This is a picture from two years ago.

95F8B355-CA3B-4B4F-8FFD-4DE7EEA8D45A.jpg

Bear that is awesome.

You boys covering your gardens tonight? Burning hay bales? Shop fans running all night?

I covered mine tonight just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not cover anything last night. It was 36 on the back porch at 7 AM this morning. A very light frost on the top of my truck. I set out peppers and tomatoes last Saturday. I think they will be fine.

I didn't cover last night either, showed 41 this morning right before I left for work. I hope that was the last of the cold, as much as I like cold.

Bear, you have an awesome set up there.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Light frost here this morning. I was gun shy and covered because the frost last week burned some of my tomatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No frost here. Eating snow peas, taters looking good and lettuce is too, mater's, squash and cukes off to a slow start
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

My gardener has the first wave of sweet corn in the ground. I'll put up a good bit this year. I had to repramand him for slacking on the green hams but I'll get them from Kings Market I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

has only touched 40 the past couple of cool nights. Stunted the banana peppers but they have popped back
    jalapenos are rocking. I have 56 tomato sets caged and it took me 2 days since monday morning to find 20 or so of the cages. Some were across the road behind my mailbox. 1st planting of squash & zukes are rolling. More going in the ground this weekend. Cucumbers too. All that is left is okra and I’m not rushing it until I start sweating profusely. I like watching stuff grow, not sit. Should have the best potato harvest than I have in yearsB0E98A0F-C5B8-42B2-B412-3FA76AC1291D.jpgB0E98A0F-C5B8-42B2-B412-3FA76AC1291D.jpg1CF38501-5263-4CD1-BFB0-963116BE0A13.jpg

peaches & cream sweet corn was $15/lb so I decided to skip and go to SC Farmers market and get sweet corn for $14/bu when I’m ready

Taters lookin good. Mine are a little bit more along. Planted them on March 1 and that is late for me but ground was just to wet to work it
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

doc i put 25lbs in on 2/4 and it took them until 3/11 to pop up and say hello
    i did put them 5” deep though 54146FBF-0B8F-4ADA-AE80-E9BCB5396735.jpg

That's a lot of taters I plant 10#s for just us 2. Last till late August or later. You in sandland I got clay

How's yalls gardens looking so far? My cucumbers aren't dying but they aren't growing either. I can't figure out what's going on with them.

Running late this year, planted mid May. Still lost a few plants to cold. Stood some corn back up today from rain and wind yesterday. Hope it makes.
    B8615C92-2B2E-4E27-893D-151E94388A81.jpeg
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Everything was rolling along in my garden until I went to the beach and the deer moved in. Okra and maters down to nubs. Bouncing back now surprisingly.

first attempt starting anything from seed.....in the ground 5/16....boy and I are happy with the little know how half ass attempt....long season yet to go

I lost a bunch of plants. Either frost, too much rain dumped on it that one week it rained nonstop or bandit, the new puppy dug them up.

Corn came up spotty, so I replanted Saturday will be 2 weeks ago and that corn is up about 8", original corn planted is about 2 foot.

Squash is about ready to pick, tomatoes and zucchini are both just starting to put out
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I've got plenty of cucumbers and squash but some of my squash are getting blossom rot. I think the PH might be jacked up.

My yellow squash are about played out ( started picking first week of may). Roma beans picked and canned. Started picking green butterbeans this week. 3 bushels picked and shelled so far. We have been picking tomatoes for a couple of weeks now.