Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 garden thread.

Default 2020 garden thread.

Attempting an early start for the first time this year. It may backfire but I’d like to have some tomatoes sooner than later. Got okra, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers in. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good luck starting early. Keep that plastic handy. You gonna need it just when you think it's gone. I've been itching to get mine ready.

My wife bought some indoor hydroponic growing kits and has several types of lettuce growing, parsley, dill, oregano, and cilantro coming up good already. Personally I'd rather grow outside but I guess it did the trick for keeping us in some good quality lettuce over the winter. I'm sure the grow lights don't help with the electric bill but with me being out to sea since January I haven't had to deal with that part yet! LOL
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I skipped last year. May get it going soon
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I'll be planting the aquaponic garden again soon. It's still growing a ton of mint. All my goldfish and the largemouth bass made it through winter.

Just got done putting 2-rows of red taters in the ground. Little wet but already late for me do to rain and more coming this week
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

May want to wait a while on the okra. Good luck on it. I’m gonna wait a bit.

We started 24 tomato plants from seeds today. We have another row in our little planter box thingy, we’re going to start those next Sunday. Wife always wants to plant $200 worth of flowers around Easter. I’ve started tomato’s inside before, but never flowers. Any of you guys started vinca or similar inside from seeds?

Breaking ground at new place this year. Too wet for tractor work. Going to be late this year for me. Will do some ditching in the fall so it will drain better for next spring.

Still got carrots, some lettuce and collards but thinking bout summer for sure!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Any advice on asparagus would be greatly appreciated. Never grown it before.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Depending on your location it is cheaper to buy it. Paid 1.99/lb today for fresh and most I pay is 2.99 all year long. Just saying I ain't tried it but the juice just ain't worth the squeeze to me and it rymes.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Takes several years and can be invasive.

Tilled the garden this afternoon. I’ll wait until mid April before planting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Tilled the garden this afternoon. I’ll wait until mid April before planting anything.
    Not Taters

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Takes several years and can be invasive.
    Ive got the time and the room. I can buy anything else too...

2fer put up some good info on asparagus a few years back, maybe last year. Brussel sprouts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Not Taters
    Correct. I don’t mess with them.

its a labor of love. we are now getting 3-4 bunches a year. My biggest issue is remembering where it is....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    May want to wait a while on the okra. Good luck on it. I’m gonna wait a bit.
    I've never grown it. I tried a late planting last year and it never got going. Thought I would get an early jump on it this year so I could fail a few more times before I get it right.

Any advice is appreciated. I'll never claim to have the greenest thumb.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14