Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 garden thread.

97 quarts of beans canned so far. Picking corn in morning. Yellow squash out my ears.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

97 qts. How many people you feed
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

My family. We can eat 100 quarts in a year.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

We in process as I type hitting on 33 pints of maters and 15 pints of sweet corn and will do the wife and I through the winter. I hope
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Picked again yesterday morn, enough for another cooker so at 104 and done with beans. Still will make some more but those will be given away. Pulled a couple ears and decided to wait till tomorrow on corn. Medium sized this year but I guess we lucky we made any. Missed out completely on the rain yesterday. Went right around either side of us and typical for this area.

5 1/2 gallons yield of cut corn from 38 dozen ears. Gave away the balance, about 20 dozen. About a third pictured wasn't filled out enough to fool with.

Birds been in the tomatoes so I wrapped the cages with bird mesh to try to save some. Still waiting on cantaloupe but any day now should be ready. Other stuff playing out but okra is full blown and wide open.
    47E885A7-6C5E-462A-9E30-53B69E9B5D25.jpg

Birds got ours to but not as bad as the squirrels did until that problem was solved. Still put up 40 pints so hope that will do us 2 for awhile

I think it’s red birds doing it. Blue berry bushes on side of garden and those go out about time tomatoes ripen. It was worse last year.

Cardinals were hammering mine.

Yep Cardinals

Well if they keep it up it’s gonna get real.

My plants bout burnt up anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Birds been in the tomatoes so I wrapped the cages with bird mesh to try to save some. Still waiting on cantaloupe but any day now should be ready. Other stuff playing out but okra is full blown and wide open.
    47E885A7-6C5E-462A-9E30-53B69E9B5D25.jpg
    Unless that’s a tiny ass bucket that okra looks way to big. It’s get a woody texture when it gets too big.

I just put my late tomato’s in last week. All they had at that the feed store was Marion tomato’s. Anybody know anything about them? I’ve always planted whoppers, better boys, big boys, and early girls. I hope they don’t have a big core.

Marions have become one of my favorites. Great yield and taste.

2 gallon bucket. A few bigger than normal but all still soft. I don’t let them get big.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I just put my late tomato’s in last week. All they had at that the feed store was Marion tomato’s. Anybody know anything about them? I’ve always planted whoppers, better boys, big boys, and early girls. I hope they don’t have a big core.
    They’re good. They can be a little more finicky than the improved varieties you listed. They’re semi-determine and they are similar to a Rutgers in size and appearance but with a little more crack resistance. Fusarium wilt resistance is their only disease resistance.

I can't find no late plants