Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 garden thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Squash and zucchini coming in, maters showing, beans blooming and corn still growing. We late but looking better than I expected.

Attachment 56756
    How in the world do you keep the grass out so good? Man the bermuda is hell in mine
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

OCD on hoeing. Did use a propane torch one pass and it’s promising. Down right satisfying to use on weeds. My boy said I sounded like Dr. Evil laughing while using it.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Squash bugs are the devil. One of my squash plants was there one day, two days later, it's on life support.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    OCD on hoeing. Did use a propane torch one pass and it’s promising. Down right satisfying to use on weeds. My boy said I sounded like Dr. Evil laughing while using it.
    Propane torch on green grass and weeds? It worked pretty good?

You torch it before the plants emerged or after?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Squash bugs are the devil. One of my squash plants was there one day, two days later, it's on life support.
    Yep, put sevendust on the root on the one's you got left
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Propane torch on green grass and weeds? It worked pretty good?

You torch it before the plants emerged or after?
    Have used it twice, after everything up good and last week. Too thick now to risk using anymore but works great on grass around edge. Also tried preen this year but under strength a little I think by directions, 50lbs on 125x75’. Noticeably less weeds. I’ve had a reoccurring problem with purslane.its satan’s spawn. That’s why I got torch. Did the burning on the tiny stuff just popped up and hand pulling, hoeing everything any size. Main goal is eradicate the purslane this season. Believe it came from old adjacent flower bed that I inadvertently spread when I enlarged garden.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I picked sweet corn on Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Wilk, I have some extra freezer space if you run out.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have a friend (my gardener) that calls me every year when it's time to pick. I like to have it for the whole year. I usually take 150-200 ears and cut them off the cob.
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.

When I was little, picking and putting up sweet corn was a July 4th holiday tradition. My grandfather would take all the kids and young men out to the field to pick. We would shuck them at the house and the women would be busy with the cutting, blanching and bagging. My great grandmother was the overseer of the whole thing. Great memories of the process and the eating that would take place the rest of the year.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I had a grass mat of corn husks floating down Big Bay Creek day before yesterday. It was quite comical.

We did about 60 dozen last time. I blanched with propane cookers in the driveway, with big coolers of ice to cool and shelter set up for shade. Wife and knuck started out with the cutting in the kitchen and we each rotated out to the blanching for rest. Made a good mess, had it in eyebrows on cabinets etc. Last year we put it up on the cob. All the waste goes to the cows. When I was younger I'd help during the summer with my grandfather who sold corn. He had a volkswagon bug he used as a kick around on the farm. We'd drive it to the field, I'd ferry 5 gallon buckets of ears as he picked them till the bug was full except the drivers seat. I mean full. Then he'd drive to the house and I'd walk back. There we would sit with my grandmother at the shed and shuck corn till the bug was empty and repeat. When we'd get a good pile up I'd pitch fork the shucks into his old ford and we'd off load those to the cows in the pasture. That was a tough old man that I miss dearly and wish I'd pay better attention back then.

I miss dearly and wish I'd pay better attention back then.
    wise words....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Got an inch of rain in an hour one eve last week. Thought I’d lost some corn but got it stood back up. Tilled and re-hilled the next eve, was dry enough believe it or not, and got another half inch the next day. Side dressed with nitrogen and it’s tasseling out now about 7’ tall. Squash and zucchini blowing up more than we can eat and give away. Beans are loaded and should be picking this week. Tomatoes still green, okra blooming and cantaloupes showing fist sized. Have picked about 3 gallons of blueberries too.
    C9A29A64-6721-47A5-9693-0C5ABB6F9BE2.jpg
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 07-05-2020 at 10:56 AM.

My favorite thing about corn was fatback,

We never blanched it. My mom and grandma would go ahead and cook it as soon as we picked it and then freeze it and they used fatback grease to season it with. When corn was coming in you’d have more fatback being cooked between the two houses than you could even try to eat
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Dang squirrels gettin my maters sooooooo they got to go. Who wants them
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dang squirrels gettin my maters sooooooo they got to go. Who wants them
    Give em to Jake.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Last edited by Spur hunter; 07-05-2020 at 07:09 PM.

We picked 21 gallons yesterday eve, got a little wet too.
    2D7461EF-2933-49CA-B173-DCC98D3F3064.jpg