Thread: Hogs and deer

Default Hogs and deer

So I was planning on building a small pen to raise some hogs in for butchering but got to thinking something. I have 6 acres where I live and I have one deerstand in the back of the property. Where I want to build the hog pen is only about 50 yards from my food plot. Will having the hogs there cause the deer to not want to be in the area? I have seen wild hogs and deer feed in the same food plots at the same time but not very often and when they do they steer clear of each other. I don’t want to mess up this stand because it pulls a lot of deer in to feed on my food plot and some very nice bucks. Will the hogs and the smell possibly have negative effects on the deer? Thoughts?

We have deer trails as wide as 95, that run alongside finishing houses and I’ve had 15 deer standing in a corn pile that wasn’t 25 yards from the lagoon, so I think you’ll be alright.

Sounds like you got some of those deer trails like the ones in FG!
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

You live on 6 acres and want to put a hog pen on that same 6 acres?

I wouldn't worry about what the deer are gonna do, I'd be worried about what your gonna do on a good hot summer night after a good thunder storm.

PEEEEEE Youuuuuuuuuuu
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I've seen deer walk right beside 30 chained barking coon dogs and weren't scared so I think you should be alright.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 02-28-2020 at 12:36 PM.