Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one would you pick

Default Which one would you pick

Looking at a picking up a Havoc to use as a multi purpose boat for fishing, hunting, camping, and what not as I move around the country with he Coast Guard. Currently looking hard at two specific models and trying to figure out which one would work best to fit my needs. The two models I'm considering are listed below.

1656 Havoc Marsh Runner
    Size 1656
    Length 16'
    Beam 78"
    Sides 24"
    HP 60hp
    14 degree 80 gauge hull
    100 gauge aluminum transom
    100 gauge bow
    90 gauge interior

1860 Havoc DB
    Size 1860
    Length 18'
    Beam 84"
    Sides 24"
    HP 75hp
    8 degree 100 gauge hull
    100 gauge aluminum transom
    100 gauge bow
    90 gauge interior

Both will be outfitted with a new Mercury 4 stroke outboard, Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v trolling motor with Mega DI transducer, a pair of Humminbird Helix 7 MSI depth finders, and a Bobs Action Jack Hydraulic jack plate. Regardless of which boat I end up with it will have the upgraded deluxe aluminum trailer under it with the biggest wheels that I can get on there for all the miles that I travel.

I believe the Marsh Runner would be the faster of the two even with less HP. They claim near 50mph with a lightly loaded hull where as the 1860 DB is a low 40mph boat. The MR has a sharper bow for cutting through waves but the 1860's length would work well for bridging the gap between waves when running in a chop. I do like the fact that the 1860 DB is a 100 gauge hull vs. 80 gauge on the MR. I ran a 1542 War Eagle that was 80 gauge but it never saw the variety of water that this boat will likely see especially if I can get back to the West coast where I would be running the bays chasing brant. I won't hunt from the boat very often and will mostly use it for hauling gear and pirogues to and from the marsh. The 1860 takes the nod on that one just b/c of the extra room. I will be putting a scissor blind on it for the occasion that my wife wants to hunt or for trips with my little one as it's just easier than trying to keep him still in a pirogue. The 1860 would probably be better for that as well.

So what would you do? Anyone have either of these hulls that wants to offer an experienced opinion on one or the other?
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Almost like picking between a flats and a bay- if you will only have 1 boat- the 19'bay is best all round

My opinion is the 1860. It can handle more weather conditions, haul more stuff and is generally a more stable platform for what you are wanting to do. We’ve had a 1542 war eagle for 12 years and I can tell you there has never been a time where we wanted less boat, but I can’t count how many times we wish we had more.... The speed difference isn’t a huge deal to me personally. 40 is plenty fast.
    Formerly DM88

Never heard anybody say “I wish I got the smaller boat..”
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

No experience with either. I doubt there's a lot of difference in draft between the two but a couple extra feet in length will be noticeable if you find yourself in chop. I can't think of any advantage to the smaller boat unless you expect to be doing a portage.

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I would go with the 1860 DB
    I need more room more times than I need more speed. Also will be more comfortable in big/rough water for the wife.

I have a Havoc 1553 and really like it for what I do. (Rivers, Small creeks, protected waters). I have crossed big water with it when fairly nice, but know that even with another foot of boat, anything much more than 8-10kts is going to be no fun.

Unless you are running small protected water, the 18 is probably a much for versatile boat.

As for the west coast, I really want one of their salmon sleds here, think it would be an awesome fishing rig.

They make a pretty sporting decoy hauler too.

If thinking West coast in the future, definitely bigger boat.
    Last edited by scdiver; 02-25-2020 at 07:53 PM.

I would call Legend Craft/Ambush and talk to Danny. The boats they are making are really nice.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

The 16ft has more V than the 18ft. 14deg vs 8 deg

Of your 2 choices, 1860 hands down. Have you ridden in a Havoc?

I've thought long and hard about what I want in my next boat and it must meet these criteria:

1. Be a dry ride
    2. Have a .125ga hull
    3. Maneuver like nobody's business

I will always be in the swamp multiple times per year so I want it stout. I'm tired of over the bow spray in minimal chop. I like a responsive boat that doesn't hop and slide in the turns.

I went so far as to call Xpress to special order an 18' hyperlift in .125ga but they wouldn't build it. I know I would never utilize the pad to it's fullest extent because of weight, but it cuts thru chop and turns on a dime. I will eventually find something that fits the bill, and most likely will have to go the custom route. I'm tired of compromising with the cookie cutter mass produced boats offered.

My edge was WET!

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

I know they are high but I don’t think you can beat a war eagle. That’s just my .02!
    Formerly DM88

best all around size and stability

1860, don't count out Xpress. Good boats. The way the sidewalls come straight up on the Edges and Havocs that just reduce the interior room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I had a 756 with the high deck. It was a great do all boat. I took that boat everywhere I took my 1542 WE before it. I could absolutely haul a ton of gear and never once felt unsafe. I mostly hunted big water chasing those silly divers. It was great except for the spray. If the wind was blowing and there were waves you were going to get wet. It rode well in the rougher water. I would definitely get the heaviest gauge aluminum you can get for the hull and throughout the boat. As far as the the side walls and loosing interior room. I never felt that way at all. My next duck specific boat will be the exact same hull design and layout.

I've had an Xpress Hyperlift 1650 before. Had a few little issues with interior welds breaking. I will say that they took care of me and redid the entire boat for me after Hurricane Katrina did a number on it. I'm not a fan of the new Xpress Hyperlift hull duck boats. The rear tapers down towards the water too much and taking water over the back end is a real problem! It can be a little scary on big water!

I've ridden in a Havoc but it wasn't one of their bigger hulls. Seemed like a pretty decent boat. I wish they still made the Havoc Bass Assassin! They discontinued it and it had a lot of the options I was looking for without me having to modify the boat.

Not a huge fan of War Eagle. It's not that they don't make a good boat b/c I know they do. The options just don't seem well thought out and the storage is not what I think it should be.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I've had a marsh runner 1656 since July. before that i had a 1553 for about 5 years. I wanted a bigger boat with alot more storage. I have not ridden in a 1860, but have ridden/driven just about all the other sizes and the marsh runner out rides/drives a standard 8deg hulled 1756. It will get up on top of the waves, and even taking diagonal chop to the bow, it never pulls or bites into the waves like my old 553 would.

the 24" sides are really nice. Helps with spray and makes the boat just feel bigger. make sure if you go with an 1860 that its one of the newer ones with the tall sides.

the Marsh Runner can be ordered with 100ga hull if you really think you need it, but I stuck with the 80ga

some realistic numbers on the marsh runner hull------

50hp 2stroke mercury- 36ish with two guys and fishin load, 45ish with big prop unloaded trying to go fast. A stock 59ci mercury is a bit underpowered. These boats like a lot of horsepower and can handle a a 70 4stroke as well as a 90 2stroke with ease. with the 90s, these marsh runners are getting in the mid 60s, and upper 50s loaded....

let me know if you have any questions about the MR!

I'm not much of a Havoc fan - there are many more options for a longer lasting boat in my opinion.

Out of the 3, I'd choose Ambush, Edge, Havoc in that order.

WE, Xpress, Sea Ark, etc for a more durable option.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai