Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning guitar

just learn stairway to heaven and be done with it
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Stairway to Heaven was the first song I learned to play. A friend slowly and painfully showed me every chord and I memorized it. I got so depressed listening to that garbage song I left my guitar in the closet of a hotel room in Goldsboro NC back in 91' and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I kid, I just want to learn to play around the house.
    Okay, so what type of music do you want to play?
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Get a electronic tuner. They are cheap. 10-12$
    There are several apps for you phone now but the tuner is more convenient.

Learn the cowboy chords first. I wish I had done that. I was full blown trying to mimic Page. He has some interesting twists on blues. Blues stuff is easy, and you will not need many bar chords for blues stuff, aka most rock. If you're gonna do country learn the bar chords.

Once you decide on what you want, find someone who knows what they are doing to make sure you learn those chords correctly the first time, its all muscle memory.

Then go to youtube.
    Marty Music https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...sjWPFiZhQ5uudg
    James James https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA6...v6kC5J6vpGBdDQ
    Privettricker https://www.youtube.com/user/privettricker
    Carl Brown https://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarLessons365Song
    Rick Beato https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch

These will give you just about every song and technique tool under the sun! Marty is the easiest to follow, but as you progress you will need the others.

Whatever you are gonna do the original guitar is gonna be fine to learn on, but if the bug bites you don't waist time buying a bunch of gear. All you need seriously is:
    a full stack of 1970's greenbacks G12H30's (wood has to be baltic birch, Mojotones in NC makes some good ones)

1 Gibson Les Paul standard 60's neck if you can afford them real PAF's, if your more into Blackmore go with a Stratocaster mexcians are cheap but good, or just buy a old American.

1 100 watt, PLexi,

In my journey so far speakers by far make the largest tonal difference. Nothing and I mean nothing sounds any where close to the 1969-1972 Celestion Greenbacks. Some folks get hung up on pre roll verses roll, but it is really the pulsonic cone that makes the difference, with the internet you can check the date codes to see if it has a pulsonic cone. Turns out there were some assembled at the new plant with the old cones. You will pay serious money for these babies! All the pedals in the world can not come anywhere nears the glorious sound of a simple LP/Stratocaster plugged strait into a cranked Plexi feeding a full stack. That is the sound if you like classic rock. No need for a pedal board the size of the stage, KISS Keep it simple stupid.

Everyone will try and say this sounds like whoever and you need this pedal to sound like him. You can use the volume and tone knobs along with selector switch to conjure any sound, short of Boston, if its classic rock assuming you have the plexi/greenbacks.

For certain songs you may want a echoplex, a MXR 90, some sort of Fuzz (as long as it uses germanium), and a Whah Whah. Those will cover most everything.

String gage. Go light say 9's. Some say you need heavy string gage to get certain sounds that has been disproven. BB king went super light as he got old, I think 8's?. Billy Gibbons is using 7's. Page used 9's He used a banjo string on the high e for a while so some say he used 8's and that is false, he used 9's, Chuck berry did the same thing as Page, its where Page got it. Blackmore 10, Malmsteen is 9's. Santana, Eddie Van Halen, James Hatfield, all 9's. Hendrix used a combo somewhere between 8/9. Peter Frampton 8's. The exception to all of this, was Stevie Ray, he used 13's, but the last tour he was on he had dropped down and started using lighter strings, I suspect like BB he would have gone supper light as he aged. Anything under 9, and drop tuning becomes a issue.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Get a electronic tuner. They are cheap. 10-12$
    There are several apps for you phone now but the tuner is more convenient.

Learn the cowboy chords first. I wish I had done that. I was full blown trying to mimic Page. He has some interesting twists on blues. Blues stuff is easy, and you will not need many bar chords for blues stuff, aka most rock. If you're gonna do country learn the bar chords.

Once you decide on what you want, find someone who knows what they are doing to make sure you learn those chords correctly the first time, its all muscle memory.

Then go to youtube.
    Marty Music https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...sjWPFiZhQ5uudg
    James James https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA6...v6kC5J6vpGBdDQ
    Privettricker https://www.youtube.com/user/privettricker
    Carl Brown https://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarLessons365Song
    Rick Beato https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch

These will give you just about every song and technique tool under the sun! Marty is the easiest to follow, but as you progress you will need the others.

Whatever you are gonna do the original guitar is gonna be fine to learn on, but if the bug bites you don't waist time buying a bunch of gear. All you need seriously is:
    a full stack of 1970's greenbacks G12H30's (wood has to be baltic birch, Mojotones in NC makes some good ones)

1 Gibson Les Paul standard 60's neck if you can afford them real PAF's, if your more into Blackmore go with a Stratocaster mexcians are cheap but good, or just buy a old American.

1 100 watt, PLexi,

In my journey so far speakers by far make the largest tonal difference. Nothing and I mean nothing sounds any where close to the 1969-1972 Celestion Greenbacks. Some folks get hung up on pre roll verses roll, but it is really the pulsonic cone that makes the difference, with the internet you can check the date codes to see if it has a pulsonic cone. Turns out there were some assembled at the new plant with the old cones. You will pay serious money for these babies! All the pedals in the world can not come anywhere nears the glorious sound of a simple LP/Stratocaster plugged strait into a cranked Plexi feeding a full stack. That is the sound if you like classic rock. No need for a pedal board the size of the stage, KISS Keep it simple stupid.

Everyone will try and say this sounds like whoever and you need this pedal to sound like him. You can use the volume and tone knobs along with selector switch to conjure any sound, short of Boston, if its classic rock assuming you have the plexi/greenbacks.

For certain songs you may want a echoplex, a MXR 90, some sort of Fuzz (as long as it uses germanium), and a Whah Whah. Those will cover most everything.

String gage. Go light say 9's. Some say you need heavy string gage to get certain sounds that has been disproven. BB king went super light as he got old, I think 8's?. Billy Gibbons is using 7's. Page used 9's He used a banjo string on the high e for a while so some say he used 8's and that is false, he used 9's, Chuck berry did the same thing as Page, its where Page got it. Blackmore 10, Malmsteen is 9's. Santana, Eddie Van Halen, James Hatfield, all 9's. Hendrix used a combo somewhere between 8/9. Peter Frampton 8's. The exception to all of this, was Stevie Ray, he used 13's, but the last tour he was on he had dropped down and started using lighter strings, I suspect like BB he would have gone supper light as he aged. Anything under 9, and drop tuning becomes a issue.
    Um D, don't you think that this is a bit much?

I hear ya, Fish. When I was in college, my roommate painstakingly taught me how to strum House of the Rising Sun. My theory was, I'd practice until I could play it perfectly, and then move on to another song. Well, after about two weeks of that, he looks at me and says "you play that song one more time, and I'm gonna smash that gd guitar over your fkng head". Which might have led to a brawl, but I knew that he was right. I was sick of it myself. I still can't listen to that song.

But, recently, 40 years later, my daughter, who plays pretty good, and is one of those people who does some things left handed, and some right, decided that she needed a left handed guitar. I picked up her abandoned Ibanez and started messing around with it. Its been a lot of fun and I've made some progress. A really good piece of advice, and one that's hard to make yourself follow is: Don't concern yourself with speed. Forget about it. Don't try to play fast. Practice doing things precisely. Clean finger placement on chords, hitting the strings cleanly with your pick, etc. Speed will come on its own, and when it does, it will sound good, not like mud.
    Last edited by GMAC; 02-28-2020 at 08:18 AM.

I've had nice Customer Balladeer Ovation for 30 years but wore the frets down so bad that it was cheaper to replace it with a cheap, Chinese-made Ovation than to re-fret the old one. I love the Chinese-made Ovation. I paid less than $500 for the "super shallow" CE48P and it includes a built-in pick-up, three band EQ and tuner. This acoustic is as thin as an electric but still has a bright, clean sound and holds tuning well. No one would use this thing in a studio but it would amp-up and work great for a coffee shop or Mexican restaurant...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotunderit View Post
    Okay, so what type of music do you want to play?
    Most important follow up question of the thread.

Not all guitars are built for just any kind of music, even acoustics. The guys in country bands who can arpeggiate and play leads on acoustics are not playing pawn shop guitars with frets a mile apart and strings even Lee Haney couldn't fret.

IMO, figure out what you want to play around the house and we can better answer your question.

What I wanted to play around the house helped me choose the right type of neck, etc, on a guitar. Even if you just want to play some country, picking that first guitar could be crucial.

I'm into playing classic rock [Aerosmith, GnR] and metal [Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Megadeth, Morbid Angel...] and currently have:

1. Yamaha Pacifica. $100 at a pawn shop. Frets like butter, easy to stretch fingers for arpeggio. Tuned to D# for rock and metal.

2. Schechter Omen. $100 at a pawn shop. A little better than the Pacifica. I have it tuned down to A# for some of Cannibal Corpse's songs.

3. Kerry King V BC Rich. $240 at a pawn shop. Love a flying V. Tuned to D# for rock and metal.

I have a Line Six Spider Amp with all of the effects required to sound remotely similar to a variety of rock and metal bands.

My next guitar will be closer to a pro level flying V. I played a Schecter V at Guitar World last Saturday. Sticker shock but what a guitar. Damn.
    Last edited by w33kender; 02-28-2020 at 09:16 AM.

W33, I agree on the guitar to a point, but if you can find a Gibson with what the lead singer calls heart wood you have a guitar. Those guitars sound good acoustic and even better plugged into a stack. They just resonate.

I had 2 identical LP's one sounded freaking awesome either way. The other only sounded good plugged in. I no longer have that unit. The new one sounds better, but not as good as the original. They both have real PAF's in them, and plugged in they just have that sound you want.

I have buddy in Florida who has a historic R0 aka the 60's profile. He has a set of PAF's in it like I've never heard before many have tried to copy those pick ups and can't quite get it. I think it has to do with the wood in that guitar.

Tom Bartlett makes some really nice replicas if you get that deep into this and have some really deep pockets, but that's about as close as you can get to a real burst with out taking out a loan for a house.

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

SSW,

The '59 Les Paul replica does indeed have quality sound. I read once that someone in GnR's engineering/production crew found one for Slash to use while he was recording the legendary Appetite for Destruction and that guitar was a game changer.

Before that guitar was found, Slash was so frustrated with the tone he WASN'T getting that he smashed one of his guitars through a van windshield in the studio's parking lot. LOL.

Here is a start if you need greenbacks.

Singles go for more than a entire quad.
    https://reverb.com/item/30868752-cel...-marshall-1971
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

get some extra light elixir strings, and a snarky tuner....

i play alverez...
    Last edited by scswamprat; 02-28-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Don't get caught up in the which guitar or none of that other technical stuff. I started out reading tabs and trying to play the songs I liked. For some naturals, that might work fine, but it's like trying to play from memory and that is difficult. Learning to get your hands to play the sounds you want without thinking will allow you to play chords to anything just like whistling. I can whistle to songs so I'm not tone deaf, but there is a disconnect when I want my hands to do it. The rest of the stuff can all be worked on later.

Ultimate guitar app helped me tremendously throughout the years still use it today when need be

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    But, recently, 40 years later, my daughter, who plays pretty good, and is one of those people who does some things left handed, and some right, decided that she needed a left handed guitar. I picked up her abandoned Ibanez and started messing around with it. Its been a lot of fun and I've made some progress. A really good piece of advice, and one that's hard to make yourself follow is: Don't concern yourself with speed. Forget about it. Don't try to play fast. Practice doing things precisely. Clean finger placement on chords, hitting the strings cleanly with your pick, etc. Speed will come on its own, and when it does, it will sound good, not like mud.
    That is truly great advice. If there is one thing that I try to stress to kids, and some of my friends, in regards to learning to play or to improve their playing is to work on the mechanics! If you can force yourself to learn to play it slow, then you will be able to play it fast. It's a pain in the ass, but, the metronome is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Most important follow up question of the thread.
    My next guitar will be closer to a pro level flying V. I played a Schecter V at Guitar World last Saturday. Sticker shock but what a guitar. Damn.
    Whatever you do, NEVER play a 50's V!

Tom Bartlett makes some really nice replicas if you get that deep into this and have some really deep pockets, but that's about as close as you can get to a real burst with out taking out a loan for a house.

Tom's stuff is pretty. This clip, however, doesn't sound like a burst to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    SSW,

The '59 Les Paul replica does indeed have quality sound. I read once that someone in GnR's engineering/production crew found one for Slash to use while he was recording the legendary Appetite for Destruction and that guitar was a game changer.

Before that guitar was found, Slash was so frustrated with the tone he WASN'T getting that he smashed one of his guitars through a van windshield in the studio's parking lot. LOL.
    Yep, it was a fake Les Paul, Kris Derrig made it.

Here is a start if you need greenbacks.

Singles go for more than a entire quad.
    https://reverb.com/item/30868752-cel...-marshall-1971
    Not a greenback, for one thing it's an H30, for another, that's a bass cone.

I just want to learn Night Moves & I'll be good.

Way up firm and high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    I just want to learn Night Moves & I'll be good.

Appreciate it fellas. I gotta start somewhere and y'all gave me plenty of good advice. Going to start out with what I got and see if I can get the basics down and then think about upgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Shotunderit View Post

Not a greenback, for one thing it's an H30, for another, that's a bass cone.
    Hhmmm

Hendrix had to switch from GM to GH due to blowing speakers. Check out the new 100 logo in his last filmed stuff. Those cabs were definitely G12H30 base cones.

Blackmore was with out a doubt G12H30's

There is no doubt Page used G12H30's there is some arguments if he used 55 or 75. I contend he had both in several of those cabs, not because he was chasing a sound, but he was blowing them and what ever he could get he slapped back in. I have 2 cabs with pure 55's I have 2 cabs with mixed 75's & 55's I have 1 cab with pure 75's

Too me the 55's capture Madison Square Garden aka Song Remains the Same to Earl's & Earls Court tone very well. The '77 tour sound more thin he was still using the KT88 amp, this would have blown speakers if you played with the base side very much it will allow too much power to the speakers. There were no more pulsonics made by that tour, so he would have taken what he could get i.e. 75's or lead cones.

Don't get me wrong the 55' or 75' sound far better than anything you can buy these days. The new scum backs are close. But they aren't that tone. I wouldn't argue over leads verses the base. I prefer the base cones and that sound, but either are the sound of classic rock. The M25's to me don't have the sound I like, besides the fact you have a 50 year old speaker that was known to blow back then. I don't think the dust is gonna hold them together 50 years later. There is a reason Hendrix went up to something with more meat ie the 30
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot