Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning guitar

Default Learning guitar

Finally decided to actually try to learn it. I've got an old hand-me-down piece, but I really don't know anything about guitars. Any recommendations on buying a make/model to start out, one-on-one lessons vs YouTube kind of stuff, etc. Any (expert) help is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Start out with what you have if it is already in hand. Once you play some you will tend to gravitate to playing a certain way which will influence your guitar selection.

What are your goals with playing?
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 02-25-2020 at 12:44 PM.

There’s a lot of good stuff on YouTube
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

You tube or Rocksmith. I had rocksmith for PlayStation and a fender electric guitar when I was in college. It worked, I was well on my way to learning and then gave it up.

put the guitar in the closet and get a bass. bass lines are way cooler than fumbling through smoke on the water for days at a time

Need to learn the Basics. G C D, Then EM E F Then AM BM bar chords etc. Once you learn GCD and basic strum patterns you'll see more chords progressing easier. I started with a Harmony Guitar when I was 13. Learned the basic chords from a family member, and taught my self the rest over the years. Now I own and play just Takamine guitars. Play more often to create callous on your finger tips too.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    What are your goals with playing?
    To create a rock band and be considered as one of the greatest players on SCDucks. I kid, I just want to learn to play around the house.
    Go Tigers!

My first guitar was a POS. Not that it was inexpensive (it was) but the action and neck was so bad that it made it very difficult to play. I was a teenager then and was tenacious and broke, so I pushed through. Much like learning how to ski on great rockies snow is easier that Appalacian snow/ice, getting a guitar that is set up correctly will make th eprocess much easier. Your fingers will hurt, may even bleed, but learning any instrument is very rewarding.

Now having said that, if you think a gun habit is bad, wait until you start buying guitars. They say youth is wasted on the young and money is wasted on the old, and I agree. If I could have had even one of the guitars I have now when I was a teenager, I would have lost my sh!t. Good luck, do not give up. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

If you already have a guitar, I wouldn’t buy a new one. But would pick up a capo and tuner. As stated above, learn bar chords when you are just starting. I avoided them to long to where it was a bitch to learn. It’s frustrating at first but I’ll be damned if it’s not addicting. For me anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I kid, I just want to learn to play around the house.
    Look into tabs. They can show you chords and have you playing recognizable music which will in turn motivate you to keep learning. As you play other songs you will develop a feel for how different notes and chords fit together along with different progressions.

This is not a serious scholarly way to learn but will work.

In all honesty if you learning on an acoustic get the lighter strings possible.

The app Ultimate guitar chords and tabs is a very useful app. Tons of free songs on there.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I have a Taylor, a Gibson and an Ovation
    I like the Ovation and it was the least expensive

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    The app Ultimate guitar chords and tabs is a very useful app. Tons of free songs on there.
    This! has auto scroll too!
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Thanks fellers, y’all have me a lot to go on.
    Go Tigers!

Learn the finger placement for chords but don’t learn which one is which. Know them by sound not name.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Seriously, if you tube was around when I learned to play you wouldn’t have ever heard of Tommy Emmanuel. My gravy the stuff you can learn on there

Just watch Billy Strings vidz on youtube, you’ll get the hang of it in no time.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    To create a rock band and be considered as one of the greatest players on SCDucks. I kid, I just want to learn to play around the house.
    Why would you joke about such a thing? SCDucks immorality should be your sole purpose for pickin' up an axe in the first place...