Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School bass fishing team missing on Pickwick Lake in Alabama.

Default High School bass fishing team missing on Pickwick Lake in Alabama.

Breaking News: 3 Members of High School Fishing Team Missing On Pickwick LakeWhat we know know is that three boaters have been reported as missing on Pickwick Lake in Hardin County.Early reports indicate that two juveniles and adult have been reported missing.
    The missing boaters are reportedly team members of the Obion County Central High School Fishing team. The fishermen were in Hardin County on Saturday for a fishing tournament.
    According to Tim Watkins, the Director of Schools for Obion County, the three people missing are two students and one of their fathers, a chaperone.
    Watkins said their boat was having engine trouble before the start of the competition and they did not leave the dock with the rest of the competitors. It was believed they took the boat out of the water and went home, but it was later determined they went ahead and attempted to compete.
    The teams truck and trailer has reportedly been located.
    TWRA is the lead agency in the search

Apparently the boat has since been found. It got sucked through the dam with all the flood waters. No bodies have been found yet.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Dang. That's awful.

I have a friend in AL who text me a picture of his neighborhood today. They are under water. Says he's got 3 feet of water in his basement.

Man that is awful

Prayers for a miracle and everyone's ok.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Prayers up

Prayers up
    Genesis 9;2

My Lord...

Hopefully they jumped and are land somewhere

Prayers for a terrible situation.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

That sounds awful scary.

Prayers!

MY palms sweat and I always think I hear engine noises when I traverse the Santee River spillway on Lake Marion. How many times have I contemplated being pulled through. I am sure there are more than a few people questioning decisions about the tournament during this period of high water. Regardless, God's peace to the families. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Before they put up the boundaries and don't have the flood gates, you could pull up to the Wilson dam and look overat all the fish below.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

My wife's non profit held an event for introducing women to the outdoors this past year at Lake Tanneycomo in Missouri. It's a riverine lake with a spillway nearby where the event was held. Lots of rain that week caused the lake to rise 6ft or so overnight and two fully rigged Hobie Pro Angler kayaks were washed off the bank where they were left overnight. I found one across the river and about a half mile down from the resort hung in a tree that had fallen into the lake. After a full day of searching I finally found the second one hung up on a barrel that keeps the cable just above water level in front of the spillway. Had the kayak not hung on that barrel it would have taken a 30ft plunge over the spillway and would have likely been lost forever. I have a video on my phone of me recovering it and towing it back to shore with my own Hobie Pro Angler. To say I was a little nervous as I approached the kayak to recover it would be an understatement. I was still about 200 yards from the spillway when I tied the tow rope to it but I could hear the water crashing over to the river below.

I can't imagine being in a situation where I knew I was going over and had to sit helpless and watch as I approached the waterfall! That had to be absolutely terrifying. While I am still hopeful that the high school team is found safe I have my doubts. It's been over three days now and I have a feeling they would have been found if they were out there on a bank somewhere.

I found another story where a +60 year old prominent Chattanooga attorney jumped to his death from a bridge over the Tennessee River in Chattanooga about two weeks ago. His body was found around 10 days later 122 river miles from where he went in washed up at the Lake Guntersville dam. Those flood waters are nothing to mess with when the TVA is pumping that much water!! There's a reason that BASS postponed the Chickamauga event that was supposed to be last weekend!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Recovering a body that has been in the water for days and beaten on rocks and logs is not for the squeamish. Prayers for the families.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Flood water type conditions and a HS bass fishing tournament was still held?

Truly, sounds pretty irresponsible to me...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I have no clue about this kinda deal but I’m assuming they had life jackets so why not jump out well before going over???
    Hey big man lemme hol a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    I have no clue about this kinda deal but I’m assuming they had life jackets so why not jump out well before going over???
    Under normal circumstances they could probably just drop anchor and wait for help but in flood waters you wouldn’t be able to swim to shore as the water flow would over power you.

Life jackets won't save you as you are being sucked into a spillway or pipe.. (IF ) If the life jackets stayed on, they can be helpful on body recovery.

In swift water, no one is a strong enough swimmer. Add in cold water temps and you are going to tire quickly. Exertion while swimming to attempt to save your life will make your effort short lived.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Flood water type conditions and a HS bass fishing tournament was still held?

Truly, sounds pretty irresponsible to me...
    Agreed, sounds like a tragic situation that could have been avoided. Hopefully this will have a happy ending and prayers that it does.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

When they start pulling water at Pickwick you can't outswim the current. When they turn the sirens on at the dam it goes from dead calm to a 36 volt trolling motor won't pull you upstream. That's without flood waters thrown into the mix.