Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/cons to neutering puppy

Default Pros/cons to neutering puppy

Our puppy is 4 months old and Vet has mentioned we could neuter him at 6 months old

Had both my labs neutered , they kept getting out of kennel and this calmed that down . We also had a puppy shi tzu years ago and had him neuter when he was a puppy ( he was a horny little sucker and lived to be 18 yrs old )

Puppy now has a stuffed animal he humps and is marking his territory already

This dog will stay in the house for the most part so not much chance of him getting out due to dogs in heat

One of my labs was very hyper and it did not phase him nor did he gain an extra weight. The other one gained a lot of weight but over the years slimmed back down but both of them were neutered when 2-4 yrs old best I recall

We will not be breeding this dog as of right now

Figure out if you're breeding first....

Everything I've seen recently says the later the better if at all. 18/24months
    Last edited by scdiver; 02-23-2020 at 08:01 AM.

I've had one that was clipped at 6 months (lived to be 13) and the one I have now was clipped at 18 months. (I heard it's better to wait until this age for growth and development) I wish I'd had this second one clipped sooner, mainly to stop him from peeing over any dog smell that entered our house and humping every kid that came to the house. Neither dog lost any drive to retrieve.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I've had one that was clipped at 6 months (lived to be 13) and the one I have now was clipped at 18 months. (I heard it's better to wait until this age for growth and development) I wish I'd had this second one clipped sooner, mainly to stop him from peeing over any dog smell that entered our house and humping every kid that came to the house. Neither dog lost any drive to retrieve.

Thanks. The growth and development was what I was curious about more than anything

Also wondering if when done later it causes weight gain more or does that matter at all

I had my male lab neutered when he was about 8 years old and he blew up like a blimp. But he also does not get the exercise he should for lack on my part. He will be 13 in April.

I can’t think of one sensible reason to cut your dog’s nuts off.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I can’t think of one sensible reason to cut your dog’s nuts off.
    Good point. Spread the word. Helps keep my lights on and kids fed.

What purpose, other than a medical issue with the dog’s testicles, would a dog need his nuts clipped?

“So it can’t breed.”

Keep an eye on your damn dog.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Neutered is such a harsh word. Y'all need to come up with something kinder and gentler sounding like y'all did with killing them. Euthanasia sounds harsh, so y'all started saying stuff like "putting them down" or "sending them off." You made it sound like you were tucking the in kids bed or taking them to school. Trust me, I know how this works. You see the shit I get for talking about using a ball peen.

Instead of neutered why not say something like "allowing him to become asexual." That way it sounds like it was his choice and the snowflakes on here won't bitch and moan.

Oh, and I'd rather be smacked in the head with a ball peen than have my nuts chopped off. Just saying.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee ruleto all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

What purpose, other than a medical issue with the dog’s testicles, would a dog need his nuts clipped?

“So it can’t breed.”

Sell it, son! Daddy needs a new bow!

“So it can’t breed.”

What I was wondering to be honest , seems like every Vet you hear mentions this if you are not going to breed them.

This dog will not be outside

We had our lab neutered at about 18 months. He's four now and is still pretty lean, still hyper and still humps our female brittany every chance he gets.

I should edit this to say "every chance he gets" is an exaggeration but we do catch him trying to hump her at least once most days.
    Last edited by Scattergun; 02-23-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Wait until he’s mature or better off don’t do it all. Clear link to knee problems and other negatives with (1) neutering dog and (2) neutering dog before he’s physically mature.

I had a young female spayed and it was a mistake. Next meat dog will have a pair and they ain’t coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Sell it, son! Daddy needs a new bow!
    wouldn't matter to some what you told them. They would ignore medical reports, examples, etc. to believe what they want to believe. I sometimes think some men wear their dogs nuts as a badge of honor!

Quote Originally Posted by head hunter View Post
    wouldn't matter to some what you told them. They would ignore medical reports, examples, etc. to believe what they want to believe. I sometimes think some men wear their dogs nuts as a badge of honor!
    Some vets use VIN if they have a question. I come here. The breadth and depth of medical knowledge is second only to the Mayo Clinic.

I’m not a vet, but I asked a question to a resident vet who felt the need to douche around it rather than answer.

Don’t forget us in the fall.
    We all look forward to your 15 paragraph write ups and links to 2 hour podcasts every time you kill a 6 point.

I read a very good article recently that talked about the potential medical ramifications of neutering before the dog’s growth is fully developed. Will find it and post it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I cant think of one sensible reason to cut your dogs nuts off.
    My vet tells me testicular cancer is the threat. Ive wondered what to do with mine for a month or two now for that reason. He is 14 months. Ive thought about asking opinions from other vets.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 02-24-2020 at 10:47 AM.

I’m not a vet, but I asked a question to a resident vet who felt the need to douche around it rather than answer.

Don’t forget us in the fall.
    We all look forward to your 15 paragraph write ups and links to 2 hour podcasts every time you kill a 6 point.

When did you change genders?

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    My vet tells me testicular cancer is the threat. I’ve wondered what to do with mine for a month or two now for that reason. He is 14 months. I’ve thought about asking opinions from other vets.
    My Spaniel had testicular cancer at around 3 years of age. It was a no brainer to have him castrated. It saved his life and allowed my family to have 10 more years with the best dog I've ever owned.

The new pup is coming along but its been quite a while since a puppy was in the house. We are both a work in progress.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."