Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros/cons to neutering puppy

From the most common veterinary surgical textbook:

An estimated 3 to 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year at US humane shelters alone.45 To prevent unwanted pregnancies, most veterinarians in the United States recommend elective gonadectomy in dogs and cats at 6 to 9 months of age, with females spayed before first estrus to decrease the risk for mammary cancer.94,99 There is little scientific evidence to support that 6 to 9 months is the optimal age for neutering.93,94 Early neutering (8 to 16 weeks) is endorsed by the American Veterinary Medical Association (1993, Resolution 6), American Humane Association, Humane Society of the United States, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Society for Theriogenology, and American College of Theriogenologists.54,93,112 Despite these endorsements and multiple studies to demonstrate little short- and long-term risks to patients, some veterinarians are reluctant to neuter patients at an early age. Special anesthetic and surgical recommendations for prepuberal patients include withholding food 3 to 4 hours before surgery, decreasing dosages of medications, adding dextrose to surgical fluids, and monitoring for clinical signs of hypoglycemia.43,44,95 Application of an inguinal tattoo in prepuberal patients will help identify those that have undergone early gonadectomy.44
    Concerns have been raised about effects of early age neutering (including ovariohysterectomy) on joint disease and neoplasia in dogs.34 Based on short- and long-term studies of dogs and cats, gonadectomy at early ages (<24 weeks) does not increase morbidity, mortality, musculoskeletal disorders, genitourinary disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, or physical/behavioral problems compared with animals gonadectomized at later ages.41-44,104 Cats neutered at 7 weeks and 7 months had no difference in radial length; both groups had delayed distal radial physeal closure compared with intact male cats.95 Male cats neutered at 7 weeks and 7 months are heavier than intact cats; however, neutered and intact cats have the same level of activity.101,106 Early neutering has no effect on urethral diameter or urethral pressure profiles.44,107 Cats neutered before 5.5 months of age have a lower incidence of urinary tract infections than those neutered later.41 An early study by Herron39 in 1971 documented preputial adhesions in 4 out of 10 cats neutered at 5 months of age. In a more recent study of cats neutered at 7 weeks and 7 months, no preputial adhesions were found.106

Canine castration serves as a treatment, preventative, or adjunct treatment for perianal adenomas, prostatic abscesses, prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), prostatic cysts, and sex hormone–associated alopecia.27,118 Perianal (circumanal) adenomas are hormone dependent, and neutering without perianal adenoma resection will often result in regression of the tumor. Excision is recommended only for recurrent perianal adenomas, ulcerated tumors, or perianal tumors of other causes (carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and sebaceous gland adenocarcinoma). In addition, testosterone may be a factor in the development of perineal hernias.118 After bilateral orchiectomy, plasma testosterone levels will decrease within 2 to 12 hours in dogs and 24 to 96 hours in cats and will remain low.84,110 In cats, castration results in rapid postoperative decline in fighting, roaming, and urine spraying in 53%, 56%, and 78% and a gradual decline 35%, 38, and 9%, respectively.33 Castration will not decrease the risk for prostatic cancer, because many prostatic cancers are androgen independent.9

Despite hormonal decreases, castrated dogs reportedly have as increased risk for bladder and prostate cancer compared with intact males.9 In addition, Cooley et al.12 found that Rottweiler Dogs neutered before 1 year of age had increased risk for developing osteosarcoma. Torres de la Riva et al. reported an increased risk for lymphosarcoma and joint disease in Golden Retrievers castrated before 12 months of age, as compared with intact males.113 Hart et al. noted that castration at < 6 months of age doubled the incidence of joint disease in Golden Retrievers.34 Caution should be used when critically evaluating such studies because the cases in some studies9,12 were drawn from secondary and tertiary veterinary referral centers, which may not represent the canine population at large. These finding should be replicated in primary general practicing centers in a variety of socioeconomic regions and also weighed against the multiple advantages of castration.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Default Pros/cons to neutering puppy

Okay. So Clarkie will stop menstruating...

Castrations and spaying before growth plates close and fuse have shown an increased incidence of ortho issues especially ACL tears. That being said...

We recommend spaying females before their first heat cycle. Each heat cycle exponentially increases the risk of breast cancer. However after the 3rd heat that horse is out of the barn. Spaying later eliminates risk of pyometra and unwanted attention/fights with stray males. ACL tears aren’t life threatening and are cheaper to treat than cancer and pyometra. Choose your evil.

Males, especially working dogs, we recommend waiting until 18-24 months old. Once the growth plates close cut away. There is zero downside after that. Benefits are you eliminate prostate cancer, prostatitis, testicular cancer, perianal fistulas, perianal adenocarcinoma, roaming/chasing women and the subsequent gun shots, dog fights and hit by cars.

Now I hope that satisfies Mrs Bog.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-24-2020 at 11:17 AM.

^ what he said. I am working with a group that is currently doing prophylactic laparoscopic gastropexies (to prevent "bloat") on ~50 agency-owned working dogs. They are having us neuter this dogs at the same time, none are less than 2 years of age. Dogs are going back to work with no change in drive. For all the heybos out there that won't neuter their dogs because they think the dogs need them, ask yourself "when is the last time that my nuts helped me make a good decision"
    Last edited by abarill; 02-24-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I know I am right when I feel it way down in my plums.
    DILLIGAF

perianal fistulas

i just had to say it
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've cut all my dogs.. I have never owned a female lab or spaniel. It's just something in my head, I don't care to give females of anything the solid cussing they might deserve. I don't feel bad cussing a male dog under my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    perianal fistulas

i just had to say it
    It’s a good word.

Just hate that I had to menstruate for you to answer
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Just hate that I had to menstruate for you to answer

No worries.

just wrap a rubber band around their nuts nice and tight and they will eventually dry up and drop off.
    There ya go, more free SCDucks medical journal type stuff

Meanwhile dog owners with Low T are getting shots.
    Genesis 9;2