Thread: Duke power

Default Duke power

Anyone work in the power plants? If so I have a couple questions if you could PM me. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

I’m not a duke employee but do a lot of work with them. What’s up?

I put in for a job at Catawba (nuclear operations tech) and was gonna see if anyone had any insight into the job, hows the working environment, pay, all that good stuff.

I work at Siemens now and we build steam turbines, power generators and gas turbines. I’ve been on a few field service jobs to the plants so I’ve seen them in action. Catawba is closer than where I work now so I figured I’d give it a chance.
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

My father retired after 36 years from Duke. My grandfather and uncle also. Catawba to bad Creek and everything between. Axe away. Biggest thing that was beat into me was if you are not in the room, turn the damn light off....
    Last edited by fro; 02-22-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Good pay, if you've ever been in the nuclear world then you know the work environment, pretty straight forward job and plenty of opportunity to move up.

Sorry...can't speak to that. Nor can I speak much to the nuke side. I do more for them on the fossil side. Isn't Siemens consolidating most of their stuff down to FL? I was in your office a few months back and it was eerie quiet. Met with a guy who painted a doom and gloom picture for turbine building. Not much new construction these days which hurts my business as well.

I will say most of my friends that work with Duke are happy though; but I can't speak to the details you want to know.

I PM’d you MR Ducks.

Siemens is good for the foreseeable future. They did a “spinoff” but are still Siemens energy. They took on industrial size turbines so steam is steady. Generators will always have a job. The gas turbine new app is shot. Probably won’t ever recover. The market was flooded between Siemens, GE and Mitsubishi. The service side of gas turbines, turbine rotors, will always be around. They just move HG, hotgas, (think combustion components on a gas turbine) from Houston to Charlotte and it is WIDE OPEN. Charlotte isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. I actually just moved from steam turbine to receiving. First shift is first shift at this point in the game.
    R. Not

All PM’s responded too. Thanks everyone
    R. Not

Go to know. I was thinking more in line with GT’s.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Go to know. I was thinking more in line with GT’s.
    Yeah whoever you talked to on the new app side wasn’t wrong with GT’s. I used to work in final assembly over there. Was my favorite department before they got slow
    R. Not