Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Best guitar player of all time

Thinned out on crack Leslie West! With the Deuce Deuce

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

My all time favorite, watch til the end

Tony Rice

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Did we mention Scotty Moore?

Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I've seen a lot of "greatest guitar player" lists and articles, and the one constant seems to be, the name of Prince always comes up at or near the top. Yet, as far as I know, I've never listened to a single one of his recordings. What should I listen to to understand this greatness?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    I've seen a lot of "greatest guitar player" lists and articles, and the one constant seems to be, the name of Prince always comes up at or near the top. Yet, as far as I know, I've never listened to a single one of his recordings. What should I listen to to understand this greatness?
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    My favorite still.

Prince going nuts, Martin Shkreli on acoustic, and I still don’t have a damn clue what happened to Prince’s guitar at the end.

Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

And I know they’ve probably been posted, but Trucks and Mayer are my favorite guitar players alive.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 02-08-2023 at 10:44 AM.

I always enjoyed the acoustic version better than the electric version, now the original video.....WHOA!

Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Now for all his use of different sigils he does get one thing correct, and explains his banning of clocks in his house.

Fast forward to 3:00 he speaks some serious truth......

Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My favorite still.

Prince going nuts, Martin Shkreli on acoustic, and I still don’t have a damn clue what happened to Prince’s guitar at the end.
    That guitar got caught. If I recall correctly it was worth some stupid amount of money like 100k or something.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    That guitar got caught. If I recall correctly it was worth some stupid amount of money like 100k or something.
    No shit ... and that's not really Martin Shkreli either.

Whatever, y'all. Watch SRV go behind his back, and then tell me what's what.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

For as good as Prince was (and he was the complete package) he could sing, play piano, and guitar. He used a ton of peddles and modern gizmos to achieve certain tones. That doesnt take anything away at all just pointing something else.

Page plugged and played. He had a modified plexi, an echo-plex, (mainly for the boost) but also for whole lotta love and Dazed & Confused, and a tone bender. That was it. He got all of his "tones" from working the guitar. Joe Bonammassa explains it very well in one of his videos.

I only point out Page & Prince because they were-are musical geniuses. Who both chased the dragon one was able to stop the other unfortunately caught it by the tail & the dragon won.

They both have their own tone. I prefer the raunchy raw sound of the Les Paul into a stack over a Stratocaster played through a gazzilion "clean machines" But Prince wanted that clean tone

For context here is Page smacked out of his mind. He kept getting cleaner & cleaner until the end of Zep. I prefer the 1975 tone over the '79 sound. He kept playing with the modified Plexi he got in late '72 until the end.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    For as good as Prince was (and he was the complete package) he could sing, play piano, and guitar. He used a ton of peddles and modern gizmos to achieve certain tones. That doesnt take anything away at all just pointing something else.

Page plugged and played. He had a modified plexi, an echo-plex, (mainly for the boost) but also for whole lotta love and Dazed & Confused, and a tone bender. That was it. He got all of his "tones" from working the guitar. Joe Bonammassa explains it very well in one of his videos.

I only point out Page & Prince because they were-are musical geniuses. Who both chased the dragon one was able to stop the other unfortunately caught it by the tail & the dragon won.

They both have their own tone. I prefer the raunchy raw sound of the Les Paul into a stack over a Stratocaster played through a gazzilion "clean machines" But Prince wanted that clean tone

For context here is Page smacked out of his mind. He kept getting cleaner & cleaner until the end of Zep. I prefer the 1975 tone over the '79 sound. He kept playing with the modified Plexi he got in late '72 until the end.
    LZ also had the best drummer there's ever been, too.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Did you know…

He was actually complaining the day he died that everyone else was a better drummer than he was.

Along with lamenting over going back on the road. He wanted to stay with Pat and the kids. He did not want to go back to America.

Sad he didn’t even know how good he was.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot