Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family Bote

Default Family Bote

Raising this crop of youngins knocked down a lot of free time. I sold the boat a few years ago because it was just sitting. Now we're getting back in to a place where we can enjoy things again.

I've been contemplating something in the 25-28' range. I was thinking something with a cabin for the little ones to get out of the sun or nap and the ability to overnight occasionally if we wanted to.

Something for cruising the the ICW, bottom fishing and occasional sick rad slinger gaffer dolphin mahi trolling.

I've been eyeing boats like the Carolina Classic 28, 25 Blackfin Combi, 255 Conquest, GW 268 Islander etc. I'd like to keep it under $50k

Anybody been down this road got some advice?
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

When I still lived in SC I was really close to pulling the trigger on a Parker Cabin Boat. I was in the same place as you, something I could get kids out of the sun, camp/sleep in, long trips (I had ideas of cruising the MS river from Arkansas to the Gulf, SC to the Keys, and some other trips), and a big open layout in the back. If I ever need another boat for lakes or the coast, I'll probably go with this.

https://www.boats.com/boats-for-sale...20-sport-cabin

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    When I still lived in SC I was really close to pulling the trigger on a Parker Cabin Boat. I was in the same place as you, something I could get kids out of the sun, camp/sleep in, long trips (I had ideas of cruising the MS river from Arkansas to the Gulf, SC to the Keys, and some other trips), and a big open layout in the back. If I ever need another boat for lakes or the coast, I'll probably go with this.

https://www.boats.com/boats-for-sale...20-sport-cabin
    A Parker is definitely in the running. BigBrother and I were just talking about a Sport Cabin.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Enclosed dual console. CC with forward seating and a sunshade that can be put up on the stern when you have the family and maybe a bow dodger then take it down when you want to fish. The thing is kids grow fast and you could be left holding a boat that’s hard to unload with a cabin or some of they pocket expresses.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I love those Parker boats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I second salty on a CC with a dodger.

What makes a CC that much more desirable for a family boat? I've had a couple center consoles and a I loved them, but they were strictly fishing boats... And I sold the last one because it wasn't little one friendly.

Which CC should I be looking at for a family fish&cruiser?

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I went from a Wellcraft 232 (wide beam, hardtop, decent sized cabin) to a KW 203FS and, hands down, the KW has MUCH MORE usable room.

Yeah, the cabin seemed like a good idea because Colt was younger then, but he never wanted to be down there for long.

I don't think I could ever see myself in any sort of cabin boat again.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Center console and one of these. https://www.ttopcovers.com/products/boat-shade-kit
    They make the t-top extensions for the stern now that you can run pretty fast without taking them down also.

My Uncle may be selling his Pursuit 2870 Offshore to move up to a 3370 Offshore. The 2870 is a CC with a walk around cuddy. New dual 250 digital Suzukis. May be a little over 50 though with the new power. I'll check with him. Boat is in McClellanville.

Just like this one here... https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/...enter-console/
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Hmm. Maybe I need to rethink it. So which 25' CC?

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    My Uncle may be selling his Pursuit 2870 Offshore to move up to a 3370 Offshore. The 2870 is a CC with a walk around cuddy. New dual 250 digital Suzukis. May be a little over 50 though with the new power. I'll check with him. Boat is in McClellanville.

Just like this one here... https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/...enter-console/
    I owned one of these in the late 90s and absolutely loved the layout. It was great for fishing with an open cockpit, got a stabbin cabin up front, and it wasn't Africa hot during the summer time under the top.

My father used to call it the 80% rule... Buy what works great for you 80% of the time and make do with it the other 20%. Make sure you honest with yourself re: your usage. you may very well think this is going to be 70 30 in favor of fishing vs family... But I can promise you as an old guy with a young family that is nowhere close to the truth.

And I will also add that you couldn't pay me to own a sport cabin in the lowcountry of South Carolina as my only boat....you want to talk about a sauna????

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    And I will also add that you couldn't pay me to own a sport cabin in the lowcountry of South Carolina as my only boat....you want to talk about a sauna????
    This guy knows what's up.
    No air, hot as hell and only good for knocking off a quick piece and tossing your gear in there

There are some Carolina Classics around for sale that are interesting.

I just can't get over the lost space for seats or fishing by having a cabin on a boat less that 30ft.

I found a sweet Albemarle 242 but not sure I can get into the inboard world, the versatility and ease of access in an outboard is very nice.
    Last edited by scdiver; 02-21-2020 at 11:57 AM.

There is nothing family comfortable about a center console.

There’s 2-3 decent seats whether it’s a 14ft scout or a 42ft yellowfin.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I have a 25 Blackfin combi- people sleep in the cabin all the time while offshore trolling- open up the forward hatch and you are in a well shaded wind tunnel. Never 1 complaint about it being hot. They also appreciate the privacy of being able to use the bathroom without going into a center console or doing it on deck in front of everyone.

We can comfortably troll or bottom fish with a crew of 3-6 people and it's a superbly dry boat .

I fished offshore on a 30' Pursuit recently with the walk around cabin and twin 300's- great boat but it was wet as hell compared to my Blackfin in the same conditions.

There is another boat similar to a Parker that has a totally open back wall that can have a roll up enclosure- Steiger Craft- I have heard good things about them.

Mobetter- if you want a ride on the Blackfin, bring your wife one weekend and I'll take ya'll for a ride.

dolphin pic.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I have a 25 Blackfin combi- people sleep in the cabin all the time while offshore trolling- open up the forward hatch and you are in a well shaded wind tunnel. Never 1 complaint about it being hot. They also appreciate the privacy of being able to use the bathroom without going into a center console or doing it on deck in front of everyone.

We can comfortably troll or bottom fish with a crew of 3-6 people and it's a superbly dry boat .

I fished offshore on a 30' Pursuit recently with the walk around cabin and twin 300's- great boat but it was wet as hell compared to my Blackfin in the same conditions.

There is another boat similar to a Parker that has a totally open back wall that can have a roll up enclosure- Steiger Craft- I have heard good things about them.

Mobetter- if you want a ride on the Blackfin, bring your wife one weekend and I'll take ya'll for a ride.

dolphin pic.jpeg
    I love the Blackfins and the Albemarles

If you want an awesome ride with 360 fishability and a great cabin look at a 28 True World- available in diesel or gas inboards or twin outboards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 02-21-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

dolphin pic.jpeg
    We'll take you up on that. I really like the layout of the Blackfin.

Duncraft Pro-Staff