Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QDMA Article, Acorn production.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Sawtooths are not native. They are now listed as invasive. The seedlings can spread quick.

They grow quick, soft wood, and produce lots of mast. As stated the acorn is the less preferred by wildlife

Around here the water oak would grow the quickest and produce mast first.

Safest bets here are hybrid pear, southern persimmon and water/pin oaks, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess I need to be hunting where you're hunting because we have tons of water oaks and our deer don't touch them. We also have tons of white oaks, as well as some swamp chestnuts and northern reds, which all get gobbled up.

And I disagree with sawtooths being less desirable- again- based on my experience.

I prefer hard mast over soft. We have planted hundreds of trees for wildlife, including chinese chestnuts, sawtooths, sequins, persimmons, and all types of pears and apples. Hard mast trees are much more simple to maintain than soft (excluding persimmons)- just plant and let them grow.
    Carolina Counsel

Around here saw tooth here fall first and the deer burned them up until red oaks drop, then when the white oak drop they are the main focus until all gone then water oaks come up last in the late season. But he said an oak that produces in 20 years or so, it takes most white oaks longer than 20 years to produce.

We have 933 acres leased with only one small white oak grove, the deer feed on water oaks at they fall over the entire lease.

The acorns with less amount of tannic we be favored first like the white oaks.

The browse line on sawtooths is pretty awesome to see. Undesirable?

Less is a better word. They will be consumed. They are still a red oak with higher tannic acid than white oaks. Cheap quick growing heavy mast producers and invasive like Bradford pear and Chinese Chestnut that helped wiped out the American chestnut. I cannot see planting trees from Asia here not a good track record.

The chinese chestnut wiped out the American chestnut? I thought it was the blight from the Japanese strain of chestnuts, but I could be wrong. I think comparing bradford pears to sawtooths is a bit of an exaggeration. Can sawtooths spread? Sure, just like any oak, by acorn propagation. I understand that some call them invasive, but I prefer to use that term for satan's spawn such as chinese privet and the like. One can easily keep sawtooths in check. Good luck with privet, bradford pears, osage orange, etc.
    Carolina Counsel

Default QDMA Article, Acorn production.....

I think the actual blight came from Southeast Asia and now some are using hybrids of the American with the Chineses and Japan chestnuts to create a more resistance tree. But it has few years since I checked up. Interesting and sad story.

Imo, there are too many native options to use rather than introduce a non-native tree. We have lost a bunch of oaks in SC. I hate to see more competition. Sawtooths can easily be controlled until landowners pass on and nobod is watching.

I rather plant a white oak I will never see an acorn from. To each his own.

Last edited by Bigtimber2; 02-20-2020 at 05:03 PM.

I have never seen another oak start dropping before every sawtooth acorn is gone from our place. Dropping early is my only complaint.

I like white oaks but I have never planted one. You don’t see many live oaks where we are but we planted some and they have done well.