Thread: Sbe3 turkey choke suggestions

Default Sbe3 turkey choke suggestions

Just got a sbe3 back in December. I have to travel down the road of finding the load and choke that patterns the best. I know every choke and every gun is different, however I was wondering what some on here with the same gun have found. Looking to shoot TSS. Load mainly depends on what works best. Just looking for a place to start instead of taking a shot in the dark. So those with sbe3’s what load and choke did y’all decide on?
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-18-2020 at 08:29 PM.

I feel you. I know you should try different chokes/loads, but where do you try different chokes? Turkey loads are expensive. I started looking at youtube vids and figured out what was likely to work best based on those vids. I have a SBE2, but I suspect you might get similar results with the 3, but look on youtube for vids to get a starting point. I went with a Carlson LongBeard XR choke with the Winchester Longbeard XR 3,5' 5s...totally not necessary to use 3.5, but why not?! This is what I got with the first shot at 55 big steps...

First 30 yard turkey didn't hardly flop when it hit the dirt. The second turkey I shot was my first in Wyoming, and knowing what the pattern was like at 70 yards (not a whole lot different than in the pic with plenty of pellets in the head/neck) I made the decision to take a shot I knew was >70 yards because the turkey would hang up at a log I had ranged at 70. I took the shot, and the turkey hit the dirt flopping and was hit as hard as any turkey I ever shot at 40 yards with any other shotgun and load. I shot one with some TSS last year, but despite the much higher pellet count and superior density of the TSS, it did not put as many pellets in the head/neck as the longbeard XRs an did not show the knockdown power that I am getting with the XRs, so no more TSS for me. Still, go on youtube and see if you can find anyone patterning the SBE 3 with various loads and stretching it out a bit...that will get you to a good starting point and likely will get you where you want to be. Make sure you aren't hitting high with that 3 if you aren't initially getting the pattern density you think you should be getting, as the word is that that gun patterns well above the bead.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

May have been #6s...can't remember.

Buy a little more open choke than normal. (.665-.670). Really any brand in that constriction will do. But some 2.25 oz 3” Apex 9’s and shoot turkeys pretty darn far.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands