Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED can light flicker

Default LED can light flicker

So we have built a new house and the LED recessed lights flicker at a quarter til every hour like clockwork. They really look more like a strobe light. There are no major appliance running to cause a voltage drop. None of the lights are on dimmer switches. It happens in multiple rooms across multiple circuits always at 15 til the hour. The power company says it’s internal to the house. The electricians that wired the house say that the problem is coming from the transformer. Voltage reads at 123.3 V coming into the panel and the voltage doesn’t drop during the hourly phenomenon. Any ideas of what could be causing it would be appreciated because I have no clue at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got a ghost.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

We had a similar problem but ours was happening in the mornings. I didn't think much about it as they were putting in a new power station up the road and not knowing a whole lot about electricity I figured that was the reason. I asked my neighbor if he was having problems and when he told me no I called the electric company. In less than 30 minutes I had 5 power trucks in front of my house changing out the transformer. Come to find out the transformer in front of the house only runs my house and the one across the street. Those neighbors are only here on the weekends in the summer. Power company told me I should have called immediately when I started having problems as apparently in can be dangerous.

My first guess is the transformer. I'd try to figure out how many houses it serves and go from there. If you pester the power company enough, they have meters that they can leave in place for a few days that record any kind of fluctuations.

More than meets the eye

Is it happening in every room of house?
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Is it happening in every room of house?
    It happens in every room in the house in the canned lights only, but not in every room every time.

I’ll call the power company back out again about the transformer. Supposedly they have already replaced it with a larger one last week and we are the only house on the transformer.

Appreciate the insight fellas

My neighbor has the same issue, but it’s only once a night.

What part of state are you in?
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    What part of state are you in?
    I’m in Lancaster County. Lynches River services my area.

If I were you, I would invest in a UPS for my sensitive electronics like TV's and PC's. You can get them around $70.00 at Amazon or Office Depot. It's a good idea for anybody but especially you.
    I've spent my share of time on power quality issues and I'm real interested to see where this leads. Please keep us updated.

Our kitchen can light CFLs got annoying so I replaced them with cheap LEDs, which flickered once a night. Took them back to HD and got Phillips LEDs and no flicker. There’s your problem. Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

If you go with a power supply, you might kill two birds with one stone. Some UPSs (uninterruptible power supply) have metering capability. APC, a company that builds UPSs calls that feature "Smart-UPS". They measure the power over time and output the info to an app on your computer in a user friendly format with charts. We've used that info to prove to providers that the power is fluctuating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjaillette View Post
    I’m in Lancaster County. Lynches River services my area.

My experience with Lynches has been pretty good. In the past when we have called them, they have been there in a few hours max.

What brand are the LED's? Are they LED bulbs or retro kits which have the led built into the can trim? I've seen cheap versions of both do some really strange stuff. Outside of contacting the power company I would but a good name brand and put them in the same room as the ones that flicker and see if they do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    My experience with Lynches has been pretty good. In the past when we have called them, they have been there in a few hours max.
    Lynches has been great. Quick response time and very knowledgeable.

We have put LED floodlights in a motion sensor at the club. When cold, it takes a while for them to finally kick in. Lot's of strobe lights before they stay on. Im gonna ditch those this weekend.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    What brand are the LED's? Are they LED bulbs or retro kits which have the led built into the can trim? I've seen cheap versions of both do some really strange stuff. Outside of contacting the power company I would but a good name brand and put them in the same room as the ones that flicker and see if they do the same thing.
    Got the issue resolved. I swapped out the EcoSmart bulbs with a Phillips brand bulb and it solved the issue. Not sure why the EcoSmart ones were flickering, other than they were a good bit cheaper than the Phillips.

Thanks everyone.
    B