Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
it will rub the numbers off of your gas card, but it works fine.

I tried to run some numbers on the break even point of paying the extra $10k on a diesel and paying about .40 more per gallon. By my calculation, it took nearly 6 years of regular pulling to make the cost justifiable. I did not factor in ANY maintenance or fuel additives on the diesel.

I wanted a 4.3 rear end but I did not have time to order one. The 3.73 rear end pulls my camper fine. I top out at around 9500 loaded and we go everywhere in NC, GA, TN. We even pulled it up Fancy Gap. If you can get up that and Saluda grade, you can do most anything.
I ran numbers a while back and came up somewhere around 300-330K for a break even using 13.5mpg on the gas and the 15.5 I average in my diesel. This was based on the delta of the diesel fuel and 87 octane on gas at the time, premium cost for todays diesel engines, DEF and oil change difference. That's a rough calculation and could fluctuate by a good bit but still comes up to a lot more years than I typically own a truck. This new 7.3L has my interest. I haven't had any serious issues with my 6.7L other than a blown O-ring on a fuel filter and fuel mileage of 15.5 average.