Thread: What's the preferred crate/kennel brand?

Default What's the preferred crate/kennel brand?

Looking for a kennel for my little female boykin to carry her to and from hunts. Did a Google search and found the Primos KennelUp, Gunner G1 Intermediate, and others. Obviously there was a little sticker shock at pricing. Not that I wouldn't spend the money on her but just wanted to hear what everyone else was using and if anyone had any real world experience with the premium line of crates? Are they worth the money?
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I think the Ruff Land Performance kennels are the best bang for the buck..I have a Dakota 283 single large crate and it's the bomb. It just cost too much. Hindsight is 20/20.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Gunner, several amazing stories out there about terrible accidents where the dog came away without a scratch.
    Genesis 9;2

Gunners safety is second to none in my opinion. Unless you go full diamond plate.

Have a Ruff Land and really enjoy the reversible doors and doors on each end for moving between vehicles and sides of the car.

All of them are nice but I like the RLK for that reason.

Gunner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Gunner. Heavy but worth the money if something ever happens accident wise.
    Go Tigers!!!

With my pay check I like Ruff Tuff but if I had some of yalls money I would buy a Gunner.

I have a gunner. I hit a concrete median at 60 mph in my truck. My truck was totaled, frame bent and all. My dog came out a little scared but otherwise completely unharmed There were yetis in the bed of he truck that were sent into the interstate and scratched up. Not a scratch on the gunner. Honestly for a Boykin I think the intermediate is too big unless you have a massive Boykin. The only reason I went with a large for my 75lb lab is cause he’s so tall.

I like the Dakotas with the front and side doors as well as the Gunners. I found a used Gunner for 350 so I went with a Gunner.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I have a gunner. I hit a concrete median at 60 mph in my truck. My truck was totaled, frame bent and all. My dog came out a little scared but otherwise completely unharmed There were yetis in the bed of he truck that were sent into the interstate and scratched up. Not a scratch on the gunner. Honestly for a Boykin I think the intermediate is too big unless you have a massive Boykin. The only reason I went with a large for my 75lb lab is cause he’s so tall.
    Did the kennel stay in the truck?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

So is it bad that my dog just rides on the back seat?

Being Military I get 10% off of the Gunner which isn't a huge discount but it makes the G1 Medium $450. That's not terrible. Especially when considering that the Primos KennelUP would be very large for a boykin, is single walled, and even with my Primos discount comes in at $374.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Did the kennel stay in the truck?
    The kennel stayed in the truck. It was locked in by just a cable lock but hadn’t really moved it all. The rest of the back of the truck everything was everywhere

I have a Gunner Large as well. Tall, lanky, black lab. Tons of room, very easy to rinse out while in the truck. Fairly heavy, but comes with wheels to aid in moving. No accidents to report, thankfully, but this thing is built like a tank. I feel very comfortable with my buddy back there. Using two ratchet straps it doesn't move. I would think a small would work for boykin, but check out sizing recommendations on their site. Helps to know tendency of dog also. Mine is a sprawler.