Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Tags....

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    You can never stop it 100% but at least with physical tags, a warden can write a ticket if it's not on the bird. Without tags and using telecheck, unless a warden sees you with a bird, people are not going to call them in. There's nothing for a warden to check in the field because the hunter is going to say their phone died, they left it at home, or they didn't have service. If you get checked in their field and the warden gets your info, you call it in. If there is no contact, free bird. Ridiculous!
    There's many'a slip tween a cup and a lip.
    I mean...there's always a way to get around a game law, if one so desires. The state should use whatever system gives them the most info on the species being hunted and use it as a management tool.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

When I go with MKW we don’t even use tags
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I've been checked by LEOs about a half dozen times during turkey season, more on public than private. Glad to see them out and about and tell them so. Tags or telecheck is fine with me, glad to do either. Check stations were not a burden for me either.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    Outlaws are not going to tag or telecheck. You can never fix that problem. I know plenty of people that seem to have Velcro tags.
    I live in SC and have hunted SC my entire life. I live near the NC border and have been deer and turkey hunting both states for the last 4 years.
    Telecheck gives NC biologist so much more info and data. In 2 minutes they know when(date) the turkey was harvested, where (what county) ,with what type of weapon, and whether or not it was a jake or mature gobbler. Same goes for deer in NC.
    In SC our biologist get a few random surveys.
    IN NC you can call it in or use their website.
    NC is at least getting useful data.
    From what I can gather, in NC the rules and regulations are purely a recommendation. That crowd does not give a damn. It is kinda like here, but worse.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    When I go with MKW we don’t even use tags
    True...we haven't needed one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I've been checked by LEOs about a half dozen times during turkey season, more on public than private. Glad to see them out and about and tell them so. Tags or telecheck is fine with me, glad to do either. Check stations were not a burden for me either.
    Yeah, I have been checked a lot on public land because I'm always out there, but I welcome it. I'm always glad to see SCDNR out there. I've been on the losing end of some bad WMA hunters cutting my tires, and such. It's always an adventure.

I got mine today. I will have to sit down with a cup of coffee in the morning to figure out when I can use each one. They’ve certainly overcomplicated things.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    I got mine today. I will have to sit down with a cup of coffee in the morning to figure out when I can use each one. They’ve certainly overcomplicated things.
    Me too.......but with a diet dew and a dip of cope...
    Bone....

I haven’t read the fine print. If you kill a bird in first 10 days and legally tag it, you cannot hunt again until day 11. I assume you can call for someone else (same as if you’ve tagged out). But, how can you prove you’re just calling if you have your tags on you (which I assume is required). Seems like there’s a lot of gray area there. Obviously I wouldn’t carry a gun.
    Last edited by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER; 02-20-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    I haven’t read the fine print. If you kill a bird in first 10 days and legally tag it, you cannot hunt again until day 11. I assume you can call for someone else (same as if you’ve tagged out). But, how can you prove you’re just calling if you have your tags on you (which I assume is required). Seems like there’s a lot of gray area there. Obviously I wouldn’t carry a gun.
    You’re correct. You can’t hunt without tags. If your first tag is filled you can’t hunt until day 11 because you don’t have a tag. You can’t convince the warden you didn’t hand the gun off if he/she wanted to pursue you “hunting”

Least that’s the way I was told.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I thought we had to pay for tags this year. I didnt pay for mine as im not a turkey hunter but got mine in the mail today
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Got mine today, had to look over them for 5min to figure out what tag to use when.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Now I don’t know if they will go to that extent or not.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I had to go look at mine. Y’all are some simple fellers. If you can’t figure them out, sober up or get off the dope.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

How about kids, they need $5 tags too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    I would assume it’s just like duck hunting. Once you tag out you can not ‘materially participate’ in a hunt with someone else, and I’m pretty sure that includes calling.

I’d double-check with DNR and get it in writing, or print it out if it’s already online.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

You can call as long as you have your tag form in possession. Has always been that way, included in regs several years back specifically because some assumed different. I’ve called Columbia to make sure as far back as the mid 90s.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I payed for mine when I re upped license back in august. Ours came yesterday and paid for youth too.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Probably going to jinx myself, but I probably average running into the game warden 10 to 12 times per duck hunting season and 0 to 0 times during turkey season. Always hunting public land. Mornings, afternoons, doesn't matter. As far as I can tell, the SCDNR GW's doesn't even check people for turkey tags.... they only bust people for baiting. Just my observations from the past 5 years or so.
    That's usually the case for me as well....last time I was checked during Turkey Season was opening morning of 2010 when I was walking back to the truck with a Longbeard in the FMNF. Of course I had a tag on my bird but Mr. Green Jeans did take his knife out and insisted on notching the date of the kill on the tag for me. Deer season in the forest was a much different story...
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I thought we had to pay for tags this year. I didnt pay for mine as im not a turkey hunter but got mine in the mail today
    Do you have a lifetime license? If so they are free....unless you are old they are also free
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!