Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottageville public hearing on Gun control. You better be there if local, FEB 18th

Default Cottageville public hearing on Gun control. You better be there if local, FEB 18th

https://walterborolive.com/stories/p...WNx6PdfKxVtXVI

As I read this , all weapons of any sort unless permitted by the police chief , to include those legally carrying concealed, your hunting shotgun or rifle in the seat etc or your pocket knife for that matter would be made illegal. Could be wrong but that is what I am picking up.

Ban includes:

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or carry about the person, whether concealed or unconcealed on the Premises of Town of Cottageville’s. This includes any firearm, antique weapon (black powered), cannon, edged weapons, slingshot, air rifle, bows, crossbows any pistol unless authorized by the Chief of Police.

Allows you to carry only if :

Marshals, sheriffs, police officers or other law enforcement officers, or peace officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this state.

But still allows you to defend yourself, say what, how, with a pointy stick? How backwards is this :

Nothing contained herein, however, shall be construed to abridge the right of self-defense, to apply to theatricals or like performances or to peace officers in the discharge of their duties.
    Genesis 9;2

They shot Mayor Reeves in cold blood.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    They shot Mayor Reeves in cold blood.
    That was terrible, he was apparently a very good man.

By "they" are you referring to : "Randall Price, an officer with a questionable record, shot Bert Reeves in the chest during an argument May 16, 2011" ?

McLeod told the jury Price shot Reeves on a dusty dirt road near Town Hall because the ex-mayor raised concerns about the officer’s “aggressive behavior.”"

https://www.postandcourier.com/archi...3084330ec.html
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-14-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

this shit has got to stop
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

DT, do you take this to read only the buildings owned by the town ie government offices or all premises/lands within the governance of Cottageville town limits?

I can see it both ways as written and as such an amendment should be made such that the working identifies 1. That this only applies to town government owned buildings and that 2. Legal CCW carry be protected withing town limits and 3. that standard weapons laws apply on other areas inside the town limits.

My phone is literally blowing up about this thing.
    Genesis 9;2

I have to be missing something here. An officer shot an ex mayor so they are saying only people authorized by the chief of police(who would have authorized the officer) can carry a weapon in town?

Please correct me I’d like to be wrong on this one.

The little test runs have been working well. See Virginia. Just another testing of the water. The more they gain, the more they take.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    I have to be missing something here. An officer shot an ex mayor so they are saying only people authorized by the chief of police(who would have authorized the officer) can carry a weapon in town?

Please correct me I’d like to be wrong on this one.
    I would like to correct you but that it would be incorrect to do so.

What we need clarified and crystal clear and as such made crystal clear in the code is this opening statement : WHEREAS, it is in the best interest of the Town of Cottageville to encourage and promote weapon safety within the boundaries of our Town.

Questions to ask would be :

1. That this only applies to town government owned buildings?

2. That legal CCW carry be protected within town limits ?

3. That standard weapons laws apply on all other areas inside the town limit?
    Genesis 9;2

Reading how it’s written, no “weapons” allowed at all in town.

Damn. I would have really liked to have been wrong on this.

It really is a shame that we have to argue such illogical laws now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Reading how it’s written, no “weapons” allowed at all in town.
    I have had about ten thousand different interpretations given since I was first made aware this morning, that alone pushed me to post it here. Can't be too cautious in todays day and age of anti gun sentiment.

First is the opener which states :

WHEREAS, it is in the best interest of the Town of Cottageville to encourage and promote weapon safety within the boundaries of our Town: and

Then subsequent to that is this, which should mean only town owned buildings :

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or carry about the person, whether concealed or unconcealed on the Premises of Town of Cottageville’s.

Legal definitions of premises :

PREMISES. that which is put before. The word has several significations; sometimes it means the statements which have been before made; as, I act upon these premises; in this sense, this word may comprise a variety of subjects, having no connexion among themselves; 1 East, R. 456; it signifies a formal part of a deed; and it is made to designate an estate.
    PREMISES, estates. Lands and tenements are usually, called premises, when particularly spoken of; as, the premises will be sold without reserve. 1 East, R. 453.
    PREMISES, conveyancing. That part in the beginning of a deed, in which are set forth the names of the parties, with their titles and additions, and in which are recited such deeds, agreements, or matters of fact, as are necessary to explain the reasons upon which the contract then entered into is founded; and it is here also the consideration on which it is made, is set down, and the certainty of the thing granted. 2 Bl. Com. 298. The technical meaning of the premises in a deed, is every thing which precedes the habendum. 8 Mass. R. 174; 6 Conn. R. 289. Vide Deed.
    PREMISES, equity pleading. That part of a bill usually denominated the stating part of the bill. It contains a narrative of the facts and circumstances of the plaintiff's case, and the wrongs of which he complains, and the names of the persons by whom done, and against whom he seeks redress. Coop. Eq. Pl..9; Bart. Suit in equity, 27; Mitf. Eq. Pl. by Jeremy, 43; Story, Eq. Pl. Sec. 27; 4 Bouv, Inst. n. 4158.
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-14-2020 at 11:52 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

This is in Cottageville of all places? Good Lord!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Yes that was it. I changed the law and stopped this revolving hire of bad cops. A law enforcement officer must now report the reason why someone leaves or is fired. His own badge is on the line if he doesn't.

I have not studied the proposed ordinance you are concerned about but thanks for shining the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    That was terrible, he was apparently a very good man.

By "they" are you referring to : "Randall Price, an officer with a questionable record, shot Bert Reeves in the chest during an argument May 16, 2011" ?

McLeod told the jury Price shot Reeves on a dusty dirt road near Town Hall because the ex-mayor raised concerns about the officer’s “aggressive behavior.”"

https://www.postandcourier.com/archi...3084330ec.html
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

If they're referring to the town offices, etc. Aren't those already restricted by state law?

The only good news is that in my 67 years on this Earth I have never been to Cottageville or had a need to.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Yes that was it. I changed the law and stopped this revolving hire of bad cops. A law enforcement officer must now report the reason why someone leaves or is fired. His own badge is on the line if he doesn't.

I have not studied the proposed ordinance you are concerned about but thanks for shining the light.
    It says A LOT that you had to do something like this. I personally know of several instances of bad cops being hired by other agencies in the same county or the next county over and the hiring agency most certainly knew of the infractions. Every single one of them ended badly at their next stop as well. Two of them ended up in prison and another should have been but only got fired. He got beat to death at a hotel later on in what I'm sure was being involved in some kind of illegal activity.

They need to vote out whoever wrote that horseshit.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The only good news is that in my 67 years on this Earth I have never been to Cottageville or had a need to.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    52 here. I missed the Round O turn once and almost made it to Cottageville years ago. Luckily, I realized my mistake and was able to turn around...

You don't "go" yo Cottageville. You drive through it. It's on the old Wire Road.
    DILLIGAF