Thread: Who Restocks and fits shotguns

Default Who Restocks and fits shotguns

When my grandpa got back from 3+ years of killing Nazi’s in WWII, he wanted to get back to bird hunting. He bought a Stevens 20 gauge SxS. He had some barrel work done to it to suit his needs, and hunted with that gun for decades. It came with plastic stock and fore end grips, and they are still in relative good shape. The barrels need rebluing and action reworked. Couple springs are shot in it. When I got the gun, I was 12 years old, just the same as my dad was 12 when he was given it. I’ve already bought the wood blanks for restocking, and wanted to see if there is anyone in SC who could handle the job of restocking, along with refinishing and working though the gun, also maybe fitting the gun to me. I’m 6’4” and about 270, so not as little as I used to be when the gun fit me better. Thanks for any help.

Jim Kelly, Darlington Gun Works.

Ron Cox

For the gun fitting and making the stock, check out PMS firearms...Mike *******. Looks like he will be at Rocky Creek April 8-19 according to his website. I do not know if he does refinishing.

He has fitted 2 guns for me and I have been pleased with his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Jim Kelly, Darlington Gun Works.
    This. End thread

Second for Mike and Granny at PMS. They do a lot for competition shooters and could certainly fit that gun for you.

I like Mike. He pops up during a few shoots at my cousin's place.

Phil is still at Darlington I believe, he's who I used to send my stuff with. He does pretty nice woodwork, but I don't know about the fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Second for Mike and Granny at PMS. They do a lot for competition shooters and could certainly fit that gun for you.
    This.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll be 40 in 2022, and would like to have the gun restored by then, and go hunt all the quail species in the US that season with Papa’s shotgun. I’ll start working on getting in touch with the mentioned folks and go from there. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I’ll be 40 in 2022, and would like to have the gun restored by then, and go hunt all the quail species in the US that season with Papa’s shotgun. I’ll start working on getting in touch with the mentioned folks and go from there. Thanks again.
    I want in on some of those trips. My wirehair will have a few seasons under her by then
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I'd be happy with a double out of a wild covey in SC.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I'd be happy with a double out of a wild covey in SC.
    boom goes the dynamite!
    At least I'm housebroken.