Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What will this mean for the lake/swamp/etc?

So my statement is idiotic or far fetched? Read the article from the post and courier by Bo Peterson dated 09/30/2018. It talks about the possibility of just that very thing. Add to that the stupid things going on today, and the stupid people in charge, and all I said could actually happen. I was being sarcastic and far fetched, but given the state of some politicians, I'm just saying.
    Last edited by Moose843; 02-11-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I see that now, so what in tarnation is their interest in predominant Hydro? What am I missing here?
    Transmission lines, that all anyone wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Santee Cooper is not regulated by the PUC and NextEra is traditionally unregulated. They can set their own rates, run as thin a staff as necessary Andrew is sell whatever they want. You figure it out. None of the other bidders have this same business profile.
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by hylandersc1 View Post
    Santee Cooper is not regulated by the PUC and NextEra is traditionally unregulated. They can set their own rates, run as thin a staff as necessary Andrew is sell whatever they want. You figure it out. None of the other bidders have this same business profile.
    The state of FL will have it on the ballot this fall to change their regulation. If it goes through NextEras business model will change overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Yes that. NextEra doesn't currently have any hydro in their portfolio. Natural Gas, Wind, Solar and Nuclear. What little bit of oil they have left is on the verge of being shut down as well.
    We must have been replying simultaneously....

NEE is a very well run company

They shut down the lakes and the rednecks from sumter will burn the headquarters down and string up the ceo.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I believe they will create another umbrella sub-corporation to keep it isolated but given the PSA debt to cash flow ratio, I cannot see them making this kid of offer with any other operating scenario being in the mix.
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

NextEra and Dominion would both be regulated by the SCPSC.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I had seen that in the Observer and for our sake I hope it ends up that way. Like I said, don't know how the hell that works for NextEra, can't figure the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I see that now, so what in tarnation is their interest in predominant Hydro? What am I missing here?
    Santee Cooper holds rights to or owns land all around both lakes. If sold, next owner will develop all this land. McMaster sure wants Santee Cooper gone, so what does he have to gain????

Keep in mind much of the land that is owned by Santee Cooper around the lakes is islands or swamp/wetland. Not saying it has no development potential but a large portion would be un-developable due to current wetland regulations, and what it classified as a wetland these days.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    Keep in mind much of the land that is owned by Santee Cooper around the lakes is islands or swamp/wetland. Not saying it has no development potential but a large portion would be un-developable due to current wetland regulations, and what it classified as a wetland these days.
    Boeing built its 787 plant on 600 acres off wetlands. Have enough money and political pull and somehow you can fill those wetlands in and start building

Not hard to get around that if you have a long term development plan

That hasn't stopped the SC Conservation bank from pouring millions of dollars into such properties to "protect them from development". How come?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Boeing built its 787 plant on 600 acres off wetlands. Have enough money and political pull and somehow you can fill those wetlands in and start building
    Yep.

Sparkleberry would make someone a nice 17,000 acre hunting preserve...

Boeing had to purchase and conserve other property under the wetlands mitigation program. That is the government's attempt to balance the interests of the economy and conservation. I would guess with all the tax incentives that SC gave to Boeing the mitigation costs were a drop in the bucket.
    DILLIGAF

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I would love to have the ROI the state got from their tax incentives to Boeing. Probably closer to 25-1. If I could get half of that ROI I would have my own plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    It's called wetland mitigation. They paid a large sum of money for the property.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 02-12-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Mitigation is a freaking joke on all facets. The money guy gets to destroy a pristine functioning habitat full of wild critters and then gives back a drainage or retention pond of course you have to put a sign over the mudhole touting its success.

I have seen the projects of Boeing's mitigation projects, they are all freaking mud holes from poor logging and herbicide treatment along Lob stands which border salt / fresh water estuaries, they wacked it , sprayed it and then shoved Long Leaf shoved into cess pools and called it good.
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Boeing had to purchase and conserve other property under the wetlands mitigation program. That is the government's attempt to balance the interests of the economy and conservation. I would guess with all the tax incentives that SC gave to Boeing the mitigation costs were a drop in the bucket.
    and Volvo