Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What will this mean for the lake/swamp/etc?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Boeing built its 787 plant on 600 acres off wetlands. Have enough money and political pull and somehow you can fill those wetlands in and start building
    Sadly it’s far worse than that. Boeing had serious reservations about building a plant here. Their main concern was a lack of skilled labor. There were several other states under consideration but The state of S.C. gave Boeing the 600 acres and PAID the bill to send several thousand new hire employees though a 12 week training course funded by tax payer dollars. Sounds like a big plus for the economy right? Bunch of new jobs! Well it would be great but the fabulous group running this state didn’t specify that the employee trained with your tax payer dollars had to be from South Carolina. I was on the management team and can only think of a 4-5 other people out of hundreds who were from SC.
    Look on the bright side. The more tax payer dollars they spend creating jobs for Yankees the less you will notice how shitty the roads are because you won’t go over 25mph anywhere in Charleston
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Ive heard the same bitching about BMW. Yes, there is a lack of skilled workforce. I would cut the first swath of the 600 acres if another Boeing plant wanted to build and use the excess dirt to fill in the nearest 600 acres of corn ponds.
    Low country redneck who moved north

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Boeing impact to be more than $6B a year, study says. The Boeing Co. will add $6.1 billion to South Carolina's economy each year and tack on nearly $3 billion to state tax revenues over three decades, according to a study released this morning by a Columbia-based nonprofit. Like I said, I would love to have that kind of return on my investment. Economic development is extremely competitive for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Sadly it’s far worse than that. Boeing had serious reservations about building a plant here. Their main concern was a lack of skilled labor. There were several other states under consideration but The state of S.C. gave Boeing the 600 acres and PAID the bill to send several thousand new hire employees though a 12 week training course funded by tax payer dollars. Sounds like a big plus for the economy right? Bunch of new jobs! Well it would be great but the fabulous group running this state didn’t specify that the employee trained with your tax payer dollars had to be from South Carolina. I was on the management team and can only think of a 4-5 other people out of hundreds who were from SC.
    Look on the bright side. The more tax payer dollars they spend creating jobs for Yankees the less you will notice how shitty the roads are because you won’t go over 25mph anywhere in Charleston
    A lot of truth in that. Bringing new jobs to SC is great, but like Griffin said, most of the time the talent is coming from outside our state. SC will be a blue state within 10 years because of all of our economic growth.

So true, the entire corridor from downtown Charleston to north of Harleyville will soon be one big industrial park and plastic housing "communities" to support it. Ruined!

Griffin swinging the hammer of truth.

Both Mercedes and Volvo have said publicly they underestimated how poor the South Carolina work force is. They are coming in droves from OH, NY and NJ.

If I ever have to go to Charleston again it will be too soon. The traffic is awful 24/7
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Boeing impact to be more than $6B a year, study says. The Boeing Co. will add $6.1 billion to South Carolina's economy each year and tack on nearly $3 billion to state tax revenues over three decades, according to a study released this morning by a Columbia-based nonprofit. Like I said, I would love to have that kind of return on my investment. Economic development is extremely competitive for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Ive heard the same bitching about BMW. Yes, there is a lack of skilled workforce. I would cut the first swath of the 600 acres if another Boeing plant wanted to build and use the excess dirt to fill in the nearest 600 acres of corn ponds.
    Well aware of the math and Boeing is a fantastic company to work for. My issue is where in the fuck is that money going?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

So will the lakes be drained or developed. Or possibly both? I’m scared mannin will turn into something like Atlanta. My mom doesn’t like traffic.

I doubt they sending it back to Seattle to their families via Western Union on Fridays.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    So will the lakes be drained or developed. Or possibly both? I’m scared mannin will turn into something like Atlanta. My mom doesn’t like traffic.
    I just don't see it happening. The place a was a huge swamp to start with. If anyone wanted to build up land look at the existing areas around the lake already.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Wasn’t saying it couldn’t be done. I understand how mitigation works, and worked a good bit on the Boeing bank property. I was simply saying it was something going for it to slow/stop development. Y’all are right though if you throw enough money around anything is possible.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    It will not be drained.

Could they clear the stumps and attract the masses...yes. Bigger homes would replace the smaller ones but the lakes will stay.

you know you can build on 600 acres of swamp if you buy another 600 other acres of land, right? the state seems to think that's a fair swap....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Well aware of the math and Boeing is a fantastic company to work for. My issue is where in the fuck is that money going?
    Call your local politician to find out that answer. Have you seen the infrastructure work Charleston is doing? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live in that crap fest for anything, but I am not a big city guy. It is fun to visit though. 5 of the top 25 restaurants in the USA are in Charleston. Is it progress? meh. I love Sumter, and wouldn't want to move anywhere, but if you can't find a good paying job in Charleston, you have some issues. There is more employment opportunities there now than there have ever been. That is economic development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Mitigation is a freaking joke on all facets. The money guy gets to destroy a pristine functioning habitat full of wild critters and then gives back a drainage or retention pond of course you have to put a sign over the mudhole touting its success.

I have seen the projects of Boeing's mitigation projects, they are all freaking mud holes from poor logging and herbicide treatment along Lob stands which border salt / fresh water estuaries, they wacked it , sprayed it and then shoved Long Leaf shoved into cess pools and called it good.
    Boom, David has got it.Ruined some good hunting property.